Are 14" rims to small to look good on a olds G body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernhard

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009
I would like to know what Olds G body forum members think about 14" factory rally rims? Do you think they are to small and do not look as good as 15" wheel? I am going for the muscle car look. I realy like the 1980 to 1981 alum rally rims but they are only 14". There are some of these wheels for sale in my area they are asking $125 each is this a fare price? Were do you like to buy interier carpet and new seat foam and covers? Thanks. Bernhard

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I have a set of 14in olds cutlass rallys that i put on for awhile and they actually looked ok , until i got my 15in aluminum wheels.. now i am looking for 17-18in rims with a low profile tire. I may even look for 18's front and 20's rear. As for the interior parts i dunno... :lol:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I think they look fine, and actually prefer them on my beaters, since the tires are so much cheaper.
I just ran the stock size on my bomber wagon that I had and the tires were like $40 each.

The problem is that with them being only 6 inches wide, it's hard to get a decent width tire on them, and you're kind of limited with sizes.

The main issue is what YOU think of them. It's your car, your decision.
Don't get swept up in the hype of bigger rims because everybody else does or cause somebody tells you to.
There can be just as many negative effects as positive effects of increasing your wheel size.
It boils down to personal preference, and budget.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Blake442 said:
I think they look fine, and actually prefer them on my beaters, since the tires are so much cheaper.
I just ran the stock size on my bomber wagon that I had and the tires were like $40 each.

The problem is that with them being only 6 inches wide, it's hard to get a decent width tire on them, and you're kind of limited with sizes.

The main issue is what YOU think of them. It's your car, your decision.
Don't get swept up in the hype of bigger rims because everybody else does or cause somebody tells you to.
There can be just as many negative effects as positive effects of increasing your wheel size.
It boils down to personal preference, and budget.

Your right Blake442... Unless you do a brake upgrade that REQUIRES you to upgrade to larger wheel size. :lol:

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
I would kill 6 people to get my hands on a nice condition stock set of 14" chrome rallye's with center caps. I had them on my first car and I love chrome. Unfortunately with my new car, there's no chrome on the entire car (ok, just by the wipers), so they wouldn't look right on my ride. I like either all chrome or no chrome.

I still want a set of those rims for future use! :p

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
I agree, I think you can get reproduction/new rims for around that, or not much more. What kind of condition are they in?

MayhemKustomz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2010
Michigan
Doober said:
I think they look alright, but for any sort of performance benefit I wouldn't run them.... they'd be ok for a cruiser.

I agree. There are no performance benefit for the original wheels. If your going to road race or drag something bigger in diameter and lighter would be better benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor