Are fiberglass add-on hood scoops worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
lilbowtie said:
$200.00 would be cheap for a hood by the time time you buy your supplies not to mention the hours you will have in it.
I sold one to a guy and he strapped it to the top of his car - I would borrow a truck.

problem being, i dont have a truck to borrow. i honestly dont know anyone with a truck or trailer. my uncles all used to have trucks, but in recent years, traded them in for jeeps and explorers. :puke: all my friends drive cars or suvs, so im kind of s.o.l. as far as that goes. if i did find a hood at a decent price,id have to go to u haul and rent a truck for a couple hours minimum, and they charge $20 an hour, so tack another $40 onto the price of a hood.

Nov 4, 2012
lilbowtie said:
I'd say your mind is made up - go for it!

well, i think i might. if i do, i'll get the bolt on style scoop and im not going to glass it in. i'll just leave it with a seam around the edge. but the bolts wont be visible, so it ought to look clean.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If it is that much of a hassle trying to get a factory hood then I would probably go with the Lauren Engineering bolt on scoop for $109.95 + $21.95 for shipping at least then you would have to worry about it cracking. Every fiberglass scoop I've seen bonded to a steel hood has ended up cracking, who wants to spend all that time and materials on it just to have it crack down the road at some point.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a fiberglass scoop with always crack, different expansion and contraction rates than metal. That's why GM bolted on the scoop on the 2nd gen Z28 Camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor