Are you tired of ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I picked a Buick 350 to be cool. Now my tastes have changed and I'd rather be fast. And by fast I mean at least keep up with newer cars. I'm sort of kicking myself for going the Buick route now, because for the same money I'd have more power and durability, not to mention aftermarket options. I do still think the Buick 350 is neat but it just doesn't meet my wants.

If you're building something cool, of course you'll want a cool engine.
If you're building something you intend to beat on, put in an LS and don't bother popping the hood.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I completely get the haste in regards to the LS platform, but as others said it's the current thing! I'm still learning about it, and building the 5.3 I'm super stoked to drop it into my Cutlass!!!! Hell, I wanted to put a 455 BBO in it, but it would cost at least double!!!

However, this isn't my first swap. My Cutlass went from a worn out 307 to a pretty wild 355sbc pavement pounder! For the guys who've read my build thread, I absolutely punished that small block for 10 years before it finally gave up!!! I definitely got my money out of it 10 times over. That being said, it's time to modernize my car from the efi small block, to a boosted LS cruiser!!!!

Reactions: 4 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I've been on the fence over the entire LS engine deal...economically, swapping one in makes entire sense: durability,performance,availability,mileage, etc,etc...,

now if everyone and their brother wasn't swapping one into their cars.....torn between F.I.'ing the 327, or seriously considering something different for the regal

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My only LS experiance in the 5.3 in my '08 truck & I'm not too crazy about it. The original one that was in it was taken out by one of the varible lifters in the begaining of last year (Jasper+install kit+labor=$5300, not including 1 week rental.) It had just over 100k & leaked out the rear seal. Before & after the swap the truck only gets 14 mpg on average. I had an '96 that had over 200k with the original stock 350 & only had an rear seal leak. Guess it shows age but I would rather run an older engine than an LS (or even a Ford cammer or current Hemi.) Something that can run totally computer free is how I like them. Every design has pros & cons on making power & torque, but speed cost how fast can you afford? Being tired of the newest/greatest engine has been around since the guy came up with the second car in the late 1800's. But think about the engines that have been around, what changes done to make them better, the market to support them. As long as there is some hope of power, a particular design will last (original SBC, BBC, Windsors, & even flat heads.) I know alot of you guys saved/barted/scrounged to build your engines for what you wanted but the newer stuff still in my opinion costly (hell SBC are not as cheap as the used to be.) In my opinion there needs to be more variety of power plants if the build can make it happen with the budget they have. Me personally would love to been able to build a good street 302 SBC or a W block 427 but I can't afford either. Hell, I would love to build an aero Century with a Nail Head. Think of the other GM engines that could ease up on the LS overload - Caddy, the Buick 215 (had a turbo version before turbos were working every street corner), any 90 deg V6 (sorry but the diesel V6 is still a boat anchor in my opinion), early Olds,Pontiacs, and the mentioned Nail Head, OHC Pontiac L6 & Tempest 4 banger (half of a 389), Chevy L6, RWD L4, & for a laugh the Corvair flat 6 (Yenko play with turbos on this too.) Even to be different (& mentally off your rocker-get help if you do one of these) a Flat Head V8, a Chrysler engine (original Hemis from the '50s), modern small sized diesel. Even look at non American power (like the post on the Toyota engine in the Monte.) Being tired of LS engines should be tired of no variety. I think its about time for me to trip off the soap box since I rambled on enough. :blah::blah::blah:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Are you guys tired of only seeing lsx stuff everywhere like in magazines and tv shows and online. Every other motor setup not really talk about anymore or talked down when it comes to the lsx motors. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Given that I have a Procharged LS2; a heads, cam and intake LS1 on the bottle; and that I am in the process of building a turbo 4.8L - Hell no.

Best engines for affordable power. Period.

I just sold the last of my Gen I SBC parts, and never looking back. The only way I might deviate from this arc is if the LTx motors get affordable (and port injection add-ons) or an turbo LFX V6.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My only LS experiance in the 5.3 in my '08 truck & I'm not too crazy about it. The original one that was in it was taken out by one of the varible lifters in the begaining of last year (Jasper+install kit+labor=$5300, not including 1 week rental.) It had just over 100k & leaked out the rear seal. Before & after the swap the truck only gets 14 mpg on average. I had an '96 that had over 200k with the original stock 350 & only had an rear seal leak. Guess it shows age but I would rather run an older engine than an LS (or even a Ford cammer or current Hemi.) Something that can run totally computer free is how I like them. Every design has pros & cons on making power & torque, but speed cost how fast can you afford? Being tired of the newest/greatest engine has been around since the guy came up with the second car in the late 1800's. But think about the engines that have been around, what changes done to make them better, the market to support them. As long as there is some hope of power, a particular design will last (original SBC, BBC, Windsors, & even flat heads.) I know alot of you guys saved/barted/scrounged to build your engines for what you wanted but the newer stuff still in my opinion costly (hell SBC are not as cheap as the used to be.) In my opinion there needs to be more variety of power plants if the build can make it happen with the budget they have. Me personally would love to been able to build a good street 302 SBC or a W block 427 but I can't afford either. Hell, I would love to build an aero Century with a Nail Head. Think of the other GM engines that could ease up on the LS overload - Caddy, the Buick 215 (had a turbo version before turbos were working every street corner), any 90 deg V6 (sorry but the diesel V6 is still a boat anchor in my opinion), early Olds,Pontiacs, and the mentioned Nail Head, OHC Pontiac L6 & Tempest 4 banger (half of a 389), Chevy L6, RWD L4, & for a laugh the Corvair flat 6 (Yenko play with turbos on this too.) Even to be different (& mentally off your rocker-get help if you do one of these) a Flat Head V8, a Chrysler engine (original Hemis from the '50s), modern small sized diesel. Even look at non American power (like the post on the Toyota engine in the Monte.) Being tired of LS engines should be tired of no variety. I think its about time for me to trip off the soap box since I rambled on enough. :blah::blah::blah:
Your 5.3 experience is somewhat atypical. My brother has a 170k 5.3 (LM7) that doesn't leak or use a drop of oil. I have an 08 LMG that did have a DOD lifter ticking that I replaced, doing a cam swap and eliminating the DOD. Even with 4.10 gears, a cam, a 3200 rpm stall converter and my heavy right foot I can get 15 mpg avg. out of my truck.

Reactions: 3 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
I am definitely an old school kinda guy. Maybe it's because I don't understand everything on the computer controlled stuff. I think the ls engines make great power and look cool though. Guess I need to do some more reading. Is there a way to run them without the computer stuff with a carb? On a sbc budget?

• Dislike

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
You can run a ls motor with a carb intake and a msd box that runs the coils or efi like most people do.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
'swhy I built a 350 Buick. It's the 2nd most overlooked 350 behind the pontiac. And since I came across the holy grail of SBB (signature), I'm building another. My old '76 motor is gonna get aluminum heads and have at least 400-450hp. It's fun popping the hood on my car and going "Yep, it's a Buick.".

Attachments

• 18402640_1408014809291024_8798059895241611452_n - Copy.jpg
    18402640_1408014809291024_8798059895241611452_n - Copy.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 111

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I picked a Buick 350 to be cool. Now my tastes have changed and I'd rather be fast. And by fast I mean at least keep up with newer cars. I'm sort of kicking myself for going the Buick route now, because for the same money I'd have more power and durability, not to mention aftermarket options. I do still think the Buick 350 is neat but it just doesn't meet my wants.

If you're building something cool, of course you'll want a cool engine.
If you're building something you intend to beat on, put in an LS and don't bother popping the hood.
If you ever want to dump the 350, I'll take it off your hands for the low low price of free. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor