Astro roof Malibu, Dallas TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think that maybe this is not an astro roof but someones metal patch job for a manual sunroof after all if this was a rare factory option wouldn't you list it in your add.

Could be, or maybe they don't realize the rarity. I guess one of our TX members could check it out. My experience has been that attempting to fill a sunroof hole usually leaves a pretty warpy mess, since most do not possess the skill set or patience to do it well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I would think the extra length in the El Camino 1/4 panel between the door and wheel well would lend to being grafted.

I will split a donor car with you if you come across one... I would really like trunk hinge set up for my grudge car. I also need a passenger side frame horn forward of the sway bar mount. Maybe a passenger side door glass too.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
So, with a wagon windshield and A-pillar, is that going to be a totally custom door glass?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Had the fronts of some camino qtrs, there is a lot of fab work to be done due to beltline issues, and they still do not have the upper B pillars I would need.

I have a buddy that says he knows a glass guy that can get the glass I need made....at a price, I'm sure.

There was a really good donor candidate up your way a while back...guy flaked on me when pressed to make arrangements to come pick it up. They have been a lot tougher to find lately.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I'd really like to see you get this done Brian.

I found a 79 dealer brochure that lists the option as a Power Sky Roof...

CpAhsf.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for posting the photo of the factory brochure Kevin. My mistake I guess. It must be a very rare option, to even see one out there today. Years ago, I had a '79 4 door Malibu that had the factory power vent windows in the rear roof pillars. I thought that was kind of an odd rare option.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you Kevin for proving that these power sunroofs did exist.
As for the one that Brian posted for sale. I'm sure the guy doesn't think there's anything special or out of the ordinary about the car having a sunroof.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Either way, I guess we now know (other than anecdotal evidence) that astroroofs were available on Malibu for a short time.

If it IS a patch job, it's way better than the last one that came through the shop....it had a sheet of plexiglass screwed over the hole with about 60 self-tapping sheetmetal screws

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Car looks to be well-optioned,V8, power windows and locks, tilt, cruise, gauge package, power seat with dual armrests, Landau, air, bumper guards, dual remote sport mirrors.

Would be a good candidate for having the power roof too, IMO.

Now I'm kinda thinking I should have waited and looked at this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor