Astro van steering shafts

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The jeep shaft has to be collapsed in a press. These shafts are ready install and no collapsing in a press is necessary.
Are you sure about this? From my experience, there is a binding 'glue' just like the old school plastic pins in the early collapsible steering shafts. A map torch can liquify the adhesive to adjust the shaft length. I did the mod for my dually (w/this common GM set-up) a couple years ago. Bought a new Jeep shaft for about the same cost as used/shipped shafts were going for.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Are you sure about this? From my experience, there is a binding 'glue' just like the old school plastic pins in the early collapsible steering shafts. A map torch can liquify the adhesive to adjust the shaft length. I did the mod for my dually (w/this common GM set-up) a couple years ago. Bought a new Jeep shaft for about the same cost as used/shipped shafts were going for.
This is what I read. There was nothing to collapse in the Astro shaft.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The Jeep shaft does require a little heat to be able to collapse it. The Astro- Safari shaft comes apart by loosening a set screw, although it's not a plug and play piece, it has to be clocked accordingly. It's definitely worth the effort. IMO, it's a beefier construction than the Jeep shaft. However, the Jeep shaft is still an improvement over the stock rag joint assembly.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
The Jeep shaft does require a little heat to be able to collapse it. The Astro- Safari shaft comes apart by loosening a set screw, although it's not a plug and play piece, it has to be clocked accordingly. It's definitely worth the effort. IMO, it's a beefier construction than the Jeep shaft. However, the Jeep shaft is still an improvement over the stock rag joint assembly.
The ones being sold by the creator of this thread are ready to install. Mine took about 10 minutes.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The ones being sold by the creator of this thread are ready to install. Mine took about 10 minutes.
Oh, I know. His are clocked, painted, and ready to go. I sold a few several years back, and probably could've gotten more, but didn't have the patience to pull them. It also requires pulling the knuckle, clocking it in the proper position, cleaning, welding, and painting them. So, there is some work involved in getting one ready to bolt on.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor