At a loss......

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
@rubio9800, where are you located? Perhaps there's a site member in your area that could assist your troubleshooting effort.
It usually never hurts to make friends w/another enthusiast that is somewhat local to you.
i’m in California
would be awesome if there was someone local willing to give me a hand. not very knowledgeable when it comes to this.

Last edited:

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
This would be my approach.... Make sure the battery is fully charged.
Disconnect the alternator so it is removed from the equation. See if the issue (car dying) continues just sitting there idling.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Report back after you try runnng the car with alternator out of the equation, check voltages as well as asked before. From there you can start over.

Be advised that an alternator can overcharge for a reason that is not related to an alternator.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Report back after you try runnng the car with alternator out of the equation, check voltages as well as asked before. From there you can start over.

Be advised that an alternator can overcharge for a reason that is not related to an alternator.
i will be trying that next , hopefully this weekend.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
This would be my approach.... Make sure the battery is fully charged.
Disconnect the alternator so it is removed from the equation. See if the issue (car dying) continues just sitting there idling.
i will be trying that next , hopefully this weekend

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
if bad should be fine to just do 12awg all the way? or is that overkill?
The fusible link is a special wire that goes from the regular red 12AWG to the ring terminal at the starter. Its the black wire in the picture. Link wire had to be 2 sizes smaller than the wire its protecting. Thats why its 16AWG. Its not hard to replace. If yours are bad, measure the length from the ring terminal to the center of the factory barrel connector. Cut the link wire to the same length. Use a crimp butt connector with the built in shrink tubing and splice it in. I used regular shrink tubing on top just to give it a little extra protection.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can buy fusible link wire at Napa. The gauge is specific to an amperage rating. If you google it, then you'll find an amp rating chart. It's very popular in metric measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor