At a loss......

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Changing a fusible link is cheap... you can get one at any auto parts store... changing it may be a knuckle buster depending on where it is located on the firewall / engine... still the only way to eliminate the possibility that it is the culprit...
i will look into this, need to figure out how to

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Changing a fusible link is cheap... you can get one at any auto parts store... changing it may be a knuckle buster depending on where it is located on the firewall / engine... still the only way to eliminate the possibility that it is the culprit...
A fusible link isnt anywhere near the firewall. Theres two that are on the starter wires. They look like this. The links are the wire going out of the plastic barrels to the ring connector. The plastic barrels are either black or white and theyre factory butt connectors. Check the link wires for breaks or see if the insulation is burned through. Ground wires go to the frame and firewall.
IMG_0257.jpg
This what they look like repaired.
IMG_0253 (002).jpg

This is what they look like repaired

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Current flows from the battery through the ignition switch /system, WITH TAHT MUCH Volt/amp output, it sounds like its an overload on that system, perhaps overheating if you will, the coil and components temporarily, and shutting it down as a result. It wasn't meant for that much voltage. Thing is as you start a vehicle up, the alternator will start out max charge and come down slowly, so if that thing is putting out this much while running, imagine what it is as it first starts up! there is defiantly an overload issue here, id dump that alternator and see how it runs with a normal amperage one before you go poking to hard. Good luck!!!

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
A fusible link isnt anywhere near the firewall. Theres two that are on the starter wires. They look like this. The links are the wire going out of the plastic barrels to the ring connector. The plastic barrels are either black or white and theyre factory butt connectors. Check the link wires for breaks or see if the insulation is burned through. Ground wires go to the frame and firewall.
View attachment 170235
This what they look like repaired.
View attachment 170236

This is what they look like repaired
thank you for the pictures. what gauge wire is that ?

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Current flows from the battery through the ignition switch /system, WITH TAHT MUCH Volt/amp output, it sounds like its an overload on that system, perhaps overheating if you will, the coil and components temporarily, and shutting it down as a result. It wasn't meant for that much voltage. Thing is as you start a vehicle up, the alternator will start out max charge and come down slowly, so if that thing is putting out this much while running, imagine what it is as it first starts up! there is defiantly an overload issue here, id dump that alternator and see how it runs with a normal amperage one before you go poking to hard. Good luck!!!
ive tried 2 alternators with same result
unless both could have an issue? i got one tested and it passed. the other one just bought last night. should i get another to try?

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
ive tried 2 alternators with same result
unless both could have an issue? i got one tested and it passed. the other one just bought last night. should i get another to try?
Question, are these Napa alternators?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
@rubio9800, where are you located? Perhaps there's a site member in your area that could assist your troubleshooting effort.
It usually never hurts to make friends w/another enthusiast that is somewhat local to you.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Wire is 12AWG. The link wire is 16AWG. The repaired links in the photo had two different sizes when I first made them. 16 and 14 but I changed them to both 16 before I put it all back together.
if bad should be fine to just do 12awg all the way? or is that overkill?

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Perhaps TOO , a bad pickup coil...just talking aloud here .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor