Axle Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

85beast

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2010
Edison, NJ
Hey all, ive gotta replace an axle on my Grand Prix and was wondering how involved its going to be, not the entire rear just the passenger axle.
Also how can you tell if its an 7.5" or 8.5" rear?

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
Take the wheel off, pull the cover and drain the fluid, take the bolt off the cross pin and pull the pin out, push axle in and pull the c-clip off if it doesn't fall out and then the axle will pull out. Then pretty much just do those steps backwards to install it. if it's a 7.5 the bottom of the center of the reared below the cover will have kind of fangs on each side of the center housing,, if it's an 8.5 there will be squared ends on each side below the cover on the housing. More than likely it will be a 7.5.

85beast

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2010
Edison, NJ
Hey thanks alot man. Its a 10 bolt rear.. Going to do this myself on jackstands, any special tools needed?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
get a 6 point 5/16 box wrench for the pinion shaft pin. You can find that wrench at your parts store, they sell it as a brake bleeder wrench. If you try to use a 12 point you'll round it off, If you changing the axle because the axle is grooved where the ale bearing rides on it you can reuse that axle if you use an anxle saving bearing. It rides on a different portion of the axle..

bs1.jpg

85beast

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2010
Edison, NJ
Yea man i have a bent axle and thinking it would be good to change bearings while its already apart. Thanks for the help man, gonna try and do it this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor