B&M 144 Installation Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKASH

n00b
Jul 28, 2015
Hi,

I just signed up to this forum looking for some advice. I have an 85 Monte SS and I am looking to install a B&M 144 that I got for a good price. The car has a freshly rebuilt 355 with a very low mileage rebuilt 200r4 transmission with a shift kit. I'm upgrading the fuel system to a larger mechanical fuel pump and a boost referenced blower carb from Holley. I won't be running too much boost(6psi max) to avoid detonation, ect. The only few things I'm having a hard time with are;

1.) Carb, throttle, and TV linkage - I have been searching for a cost effective bracket that I can use with my existing cables with that will correct the change in height with the new addition of the blower. Does any one know of any solutions or kits that I could use? Pictures and part info will help.

2.) Cowl Induction Hoods - I really want a steel hood but it looks like the only make them up to 2 inches for my car. Would a 144 be able to squeeze under a 2" cowl hood with a low profile air cleaner that will still clean the intake air effectively? Please let me know of any low profile air cleaners to use.

3.) Return Fuel Line Delete - Considering I bought the car with the original L69 305 and all of the smog equipment with it, while I was swapping out the 305 for the 355, I decided to keep the same stock mechanical fuel pump that had the return line. Considering that the new larger pump I will be installing only has 1 in and 1 out, should I be able to delete the fuel line or at least plug it up with little to no issues? I called the guys from summit and Holley and they said I should be ok. I just wanted some reassurance.

Any advice would really help.

Thanks

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard!
One of our fellow members has a Malibu coupe with a B&M blower on it. Hopefully he'll see this post and chime in and give you advice.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Longroof79. I'll keep a close eye on my phone for any alerts.
You're welcome. He goes by jrm81bu...good guy, too.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
How tall is the blower from the front intake seal to the top of the blower case? It probably won't fit under a 2" cowl hood though. With my 80 Cutlass with a SBC my manifold is 4.27" tall and I have a holley carb and 3" tall air cleaner and have only 1/2" between the air cleaner wing nut and hood insulation pad.

As far as the return line you can plug it or use it with a regulator. You will most likely need a longer tv cable, in the long run it would be easier than trying to rig a linkage to change direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor