B&M 4L80e quality???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Putting a question out for the smarter guys with the big power numbers.

Have an opportunity to buy a new in box 4L80e, trans controller and TCI shifter off Kijiji. Price is slightly below new price, not enough to be a steal but good for Canuckistan.

Is the B&M worth it? Quality wise and for what you get? Model #118002.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have heard good things, and I was considering one myself. Lots of updates and good hard parts is my understanding.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
^This. Get a $250 4l80e off Craig's list. $100 HD2 shift kit. And a good torque converter.

I was hoping to do that. Unfortunately where I’m at, finding one that isn’t 4wd is next to impossible. So by the time I did a mainshaft and the whole “while you’re in there anyway” upgrades are done I would at the same money. This way the inside stuff is done and I can get a trans brake valve body at my leisure. That’s my train of thought anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

transman

Apprentice
May 17, 2015
Western Canada
Putting a question out for the smarter guys with the big power numbers.

Have an opportunity to buy a new in box 4L80e, trans controller and TCI shifter off Kijiji. Price is slightly below new price, not enough to be a steal but good for Canuckistan.

Is the B&M worth it? Quality wise and for what you get? Model #118002.
I've seen some B & M transmissions apart. Some nothing more than a general overhaul and a shift kit. However, I've never seen one of their 4L80E's apart, so I can't speak on that transmission. I've also seen some of their race units apart, and they've done a very good job. Just remember, that the 'NEW IN BOX", should be "REBUILT IN BOX". Unless things have changed since I got out of the industry, the only place you could get a NEW IN BOX 4L80E was from a dealer. B & M don't make new transmissions.
Just my 2 cents

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
^This. Get a $250 4l80e off Craig's list. $100 HD2 shift kit. And a good torque converter.

WOW! Things must be way cheap up there, they ask a lot more down here. Hell, I've seen people ask that for TH350 cores

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
So, you are getting a used piece for "slightly" below new? Now for me to buy used, and this is used without any history known by you other than what the seller tells you, I need a good deal.. I'm not putting too much into believing what a seller is telling you. And anything over 50% of new better be some hard to find stuff. And it better be in the box and not all greasy.

I think you are way better off to pass on that if the seller cant be negotiated with. And bringing cash, letting his wife see the cash, and pointing out he wants it gone and his wife happy work well in my experience.

It isn't like 2wd 4L80e cant be found. You just haven't stumbled up on one you can use yet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I bought a 4L80E out of 1 ton Van for $150 as a rebuilder, bought the Rebuild kit from Summit an another kit to make it full Manual for around $600(Don't quote me on that $ been acouple years) bought a Torque Converter for a grand, an rebuilt it myself, an as my kids would say when they were young, Daddies a stupid head. So if l can do it l'm sure you can too. You'll need acouple speciality tools, l bought but you can borrow from some places l'm sure. Prices are CAD, so your price would be less.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor