MONTE CARLO Bad axle hop after ls1 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley72692

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 12, 2018
Got the spool in today, ended up getting it to work with differential shims, had to use more than I wanted but it is what it is.

Car goes good and doesn’t hop or anything funky though so I’m happy with it for now 👍🏻

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What shims are you talking about. The only shims in a rear end is for the carrier and the carrier is not removed to install a mini spool. If you did take the carrier out you needed to install it using the same shims in the same location. If you changed the amount of shims used or their location do not drive the car until you properly set up the rear end

Haley72692

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 12, 2018
What shims are you talking about. The only shims in a rear end is for the carrier and the carrier is not removed to install a mini spool. If you did take the carrier out you needed to install it using the same shims in the same location. If you changed the amount of shims used or their location do not drive the car until you properly set up the rear end

Spider gear shims maybe? There was one per side in between the carrier and spider gears, and I had to install 3 per side to get the mini spool to fit tight, all c clips are in and everything went back together as it should and I’ve already taken the car out and driven it with no issues 🤷🏻‍♂️

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There is a thrust wahers on the two pinion gears and a washer on each side gear. They are not shims.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The other thing is the spool is not going to correct the wheel hop, what did you change and what did you set your pinion at?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What adjustment did you make to the pinion angle. The info can help out the next person who has wheel hop

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor