Bad news totay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
You got access to a garage in the gated townhome? Some townhomes rent garages for some extra $$$. If one is available, pull the car in there, shut the door and dig in.

Questions to answer prior to spending any money. Are you happy with the V6? If so, fix it or get another one. May get lucky and find someone local pulling one for a v8 swap. Could swap a v8 in there. Tons of info on this site on how to do a swap and how to swap in several different engine types/sizes.

If the engine runs now, pull the valve cover and begin to investigate. Lots of knowledgeable members on here that can help. The more you dig in and report back, the more we can help.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Sticky valves can also cause low compression in a cylinder. MMO often can free valves up so they slidd smoothly and quickly.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sounds like it's valvetrain related, based on your description of the popping back through the intake. Likely a cam going flat but could be a bent pushrod, broken spring, or burnt valve. Any of those will give you low compression and a miss.
Since none of those require engine removal or total replacement, I'd figure out exactly what is wrong and fix the engine you have. I see you're in California so a swap is probably off the table. 3.8s aren't worth anything and you practically can't give one away, but it seems like they're almost impossible to find when you need one for a replacement.
On the Seafoam thing... It's a good decarbonizer but it's not likely to improve your situation here. FWIW, you can dribble water down the throat of a warmed up and running engine and get similar results, at least in the combustion chamber.

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, California severely limits your options. Get it checked out at a garage.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Ok. I am going to do something that I am going to regret. I am going to preface this statement, which is going to draw me an incredible amount of very negative responses, with this statement.

We are all hereto learn and share knowledge. We all have a different level of knowledge and experienceand I am glad to share mine with those who have less so that they can benefit from my years of experience.

Now for the inflammatory part. The entirety of this thread shows a basic misunderstanding of the operation of an internal combustion engine. Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam are at best snake oil for 99% of the things they are purported to solve. This is especially true regarding modern engines of which I would classify anything that this forum was established to support. Modern fuels and oils have eliminated all the problems the aforementioned products were actually developed to address 90+ years ago. In the mid 80s people were buying these products at the auto parts store I worked at and never once, and I mean never, did they or any other magic additive solution solve or repair a problem in the 6 years I was in the auto parts business. Low compression is a mechanical problem period. It has a small number of definite causes. They can be diagnosed by a competent mechanic. Get off YouTube and get a quality service manual. You can get one from Amazon. I recommend a Motors or at least a Haynes printed in the 80s. Alternatively I will be glad to share my personal cell phone number in a PM and help you diagnose the problem.

BTW, I have built several 3.8s for people and never did anyone feel like it was a waste of money. In fact if you get the manual you could do it yourself. I am going to unsubscribe from this thread because I do not want to deal with the vitriol. Again, I offer my assistance if you PM me.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Stuck rings can happen but it could be just worn out. I tired MMO and Seafoam, they did nothing. I fixed one with Kleenflo Combustion Chamber Cleaner, soak parts in this stuff for a few hours, it removes all the carbon and sludge. It happened after using our company's 15W40 diesel in my Olds 350. It started using more oil and a couple of cylinders were 25 to 50 low. Warmed it up, then fired it down the TBI till it stalled fired a bunch more down the TBI. I then pulled the plugs on the low cylinders and filled them and left overnight. Now it put out a hell of a smokescreen. It gained 20 to 35 psi. Between that and replacing oil seals on the valves, oil consumption was cut in less than half. Another Olds 350 had a choke staying on due to linkage issues, it washed out 2 cylinders, both 50 psi low. I did the the same thing, gained 15 to 25 psi. Unfortunately the cam was failing and took out the bearings. I actually bent the connecting rods, hydro locking the cylinders. If you can find it and try it, don't start with the cylinders full of fluid. Your neighbour's would complain of the smoke. Unfortunately, a good used 35 to 40 year old 3.8 motor is a crap shoot, if one can be found at all. A rebuilt one will cost into the thousands. Good luck,

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Some of the magic snake oil like MMO do have their uses, but they can't work miracles. Most automotive engines are designed to be ran every day to keep the internals clean. They are not desigĺned to sit around for long periods of disuse like over winter. So when they do sit for extended periods, varnish forms on the internal parts which sometimes makes them stick. Even modern gas and oils will form varnish if it sits for a long time. Especially on piston rings and valve stems. If its not too bad then snake oil like MMO can clear it up. However, it won't fix worn rings or valves, just sticky but otherwise good parts.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
The snake oil‘s have their place. Are they a fix for worn parts? No but from my real world experience they can improve compression and reduce oil burning. Regardless of what the haters say It’s a cheap alternative to disassembling an engine. It works well on engines with known oil burning issues (Saturn) and every Dodge ever made 🤣

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor