Bad to run to big a carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowtiesOnly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2011
I've only got a mildly built 350, with an est. 350 hp. and it's got a 750 cfm carb on it, which is broken, and stuck wide open. I know I need to downsize to a 600, but I'm curious if running it is bad for the engine. I would like to wait til next spring to do so, probably after only another 500-1000 miles on the car, I'm just curious if this is at all bad for the engine.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
you tell us, do you think driving a car with a carb stuck wide open is a good or bad idea? what do you think will happen when you put it in drive from neutral? do you think the transmission will like that?

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
you tell us, do you think driving a car with a carb stuck wide open is a good or bad idea? what do you think will happen when you put it in drive from neutral? do you think the transmission will like that?
+2 you also run the risk of washing fuel past rings causing ring failure and getting in oil if to rich. not good

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
first of all I dont think thats to big of a carb all depends on how you drive and set - up how ever if your having a problem with it sticking wide open then you need to address that ASAP BTW heres a CFM calculator
http://www.wallaceracing.com/intakecfm.php

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
If the carb that is on it now only needs minor work I would just keep it.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Set up correctly it is not too big.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Doesn't the huge cfm carb only suck in the gas/air that it needs, based on vacuum?
If the flaps are stuck open, you'd likely run lean.
Check the exhaust at the back, do you smell gasoline, or see any gas dripping, and what kind of smoke, if any do you get... to see if it's running rich.

Running too lean or too rich (both) will damage piston rings.
If you're running and idling smooth, you might be ok, just make sure you're not running lean.

BowtiesOnly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2011
I know I'm running rich, it idles fine it's just a pretty strong gas smell when I'm on the throttle. It's only backfired a few times on me in a few hundred miles but that was after low rpm highway for 10-15+ minutes. The carb is not broken, It just can't be adjusted, the pins or whatever they are called are broken for adjusting, so it's set all the way up, is what I meant, sorry for the confusion. It runs fine, and the rpms don't hop around, I've just been told by multiple people a 750 is too big for the motor, and that 600-650 would be better. So after this, do you guys think itd be that awful for it to run another 500 miles on it as is? This is a car that will not see more than 3000k miles in a summer, as long as I own it... I appreciate all input so far.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
I would go with a 600-650 because thats plenty. I dont care how you adjust a 750 its way to big. Thats why carb matching is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor