Bags or Hydraulics? Decided update!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
I have been thinking about hydraulics in my car. When I was younger I always wanted them and now that I have a 82 Regal, If I don't have to sell it I might do it. I just want to get some thoughts on the idea and what people like better. I might box in the frame but I really have no plans of making an all out hopper with it.

I can do all the installation myself, I can weld and have worked with hydraulic/pneumatic equipment when I worked at a bakery years ago. Not something I really forget. So it's only going to cost me equipment.

supreme_eighty5

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Upstate, NY
go hydraulics, if done right they can be more reliable than bags, and more fun. just go lay n play cant go wrong, if you dont hop it or plan on 3 wheeling i wouldnt worry about doing a complete box on the frame but boxing in the rails on the sides wont hurt. if you go with dro's, black magic is a really good brand, ones such as cce and showtime arent too great anymore as they have been bought out, prohopper is decent though. if your not already on layitlow.com id suggest go there for tons of info as there are 1000's of gbody lolo's on there. grab a set of extended a-arms and some spokes and rollll 8)

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
Its all about preference. IMO nothing sounds better than hearing hydraulic motors winding up when you hit the switch. If you do decide to go that route and you want a lay and play setup I would recommend getting accumulators. Riding on accumulators are just as smooth as bags. Plus you don't get the loud hissing sound when you dump you ride, or have to listen to the sound of your compressor motors refilling your tanks. If you want more than just lay and play (a little hopping and 3 wheeling) you better wrap your frame. This is what can happen if you don't.

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.ph ... 27930&st=0

I have a wrapped frame for my MC, and I hope to be lifted by summertime.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
i didnt see that coming lol, i thought you were going for the stealth look? unless your keeping that look.

I like bags, because thats just my generations popular thing, i hear bags are extremely uncomfortable tho. Idk bout hydralics, never rode in a car with either. Do whatever you gotta do to hit the ground lol.

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
2000.malibu.ls said:
i didnt see that coming lol, i thought you were going for the stealth look? unless your keeping that look.

I like bags, because thats just my generations popular thing, i hear bags are extremely uncomfortable tho. Idk bout hydralics, never rode in a car with either. Do whatever you gotta do to hit the ground lol.

Yea, well I thought long and hard about it and decided to not do anything crazy. Keeping everything stock except the wrapped frame, 2 chrome pumps, and 6 batteries in the trunk. Not going to beat the car up, but I want to make sure I never have an issue with the frame or body. Paint and interior will not be changed. I haven't really said anything because I know I'm gonna piss a lot of people off once they have seen what I have done, LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_2379.JPG
    IMG_2379.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 456

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I am tempted to got the same route but the thought of having to add all the weight has kind of halted it... for now cuz i like to go fast :lol: . I have always liked the way low lows look and think dro's are badass especially on 13's with a thin ww and hex knockoffs. Just make sure to do it right and they will work great.
Good luck and show some pics!

1988montess

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2007
masters of misinformation in this thread holy sh*t.
#1 dros will NEVER be as reliable as bags
#2 they will NEVER ride as good or better than bags even with accumulators
#3 the sounds of the dumps are ****in sweet
#4 anyone ever heard of engine driven comperessors? you dont need to hear the comps going if its engine driven.

hydros are fun, i have nothing against them and if done right, they still wont be reliable like bags. i bagged my SS and i have a smooth as silk ride, way better than factory and i can lay and play all i want, not to mention its cheaper and less maintenance. again, dont get me wrong i love dros and the sounds they make and i will have them in another car, but not as a summer daily/cruiser, without cumes, youd think twice to drive down the highway trust me.

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
1988montess said:
#4 anyone ever heard of engine driven comperessors? you dont need to hear the comps going if its engine driven.

hydros are fun, i have nothing against them and if done right, they still wont be reliable like bags. i bagged my SS and i have a smooth as silk ride, way better than factory and i can lay and play all i want, not to mention its cheaper and less maintenance. again, dont get me wrong i love dros and the sounds they make and i will have them in another car, but not as a summer daily/cruiser, without cumes, youd think twice to drive down the highway trust me.

Since there is many variables that goes into a air/juice suspension the 4 things you mentioned above are just your opinion NOTHING MORE. Just as I had stated in my post, "IMO" then I gave my preference and why.

Just like anything with moving parts JUICE AND BAGS need preventive maintenance to ensure a trouble free ride. They both have their pros and cons. For example: if you have a leak in your hydraulic system it can cause a mess, but you will know where the leak is. Bags will not cause a mess if you have a leak, but it can be a headache to try and find where the leak is. If you want your setup done right YOU WILL spend some $$. If you don't believe me just go over to summitracing.com and see how much a pair of air ride shockwaves cost. Riding with and without accumulators is like saying you want your car to perform like a Corvette, but also ride like a Cadillac. You can't have the best of both worlds.

Oh and you want to talk about riding on the highway?

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.ph ... 56654&st=0
Enough said.

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
85GPLef41 said:
I am tempted to got the same route but the thought of having to add all the weight has kind of halted it... for now cuz i like to go fast :lol: . I have always liked the way low lows look and think dro's are badass especially on 13's with a thin ww and hex knockoffs. Just make sure to do it right and they will work great.
Good luck and show some pics!

If I was performance oriented about my car I wouldn't go hydraulics because of the weight, but then again I wouldn't go bags either. Don't get me wrong you can tune a bag setup to ride well, but it would cost a lot more $$ and I wouldn't say it rivals a well tuned suspension.

1988montess

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2007
87LS/88SS said:
1988montess said:

Since there is many variables that goes into a air/juice suspension the 4 things you mentioned above are just your opinion NOTHING MORE. Just as I had stated in my post, "IMO" then I gave my preference and why.

Just like anything with moving parts JUICE AND BAGS need preventive maintenance to ensure a trouble free ride. They both have their pros and cons. For example: if you have a leak in your hydraulic system it can cause a mess, but you will know where the leak is. Bags will not cause a mess if you have a leak, but it can be a headache to try and find where the leak is. If you want your setup done right YOU WILL spend some $$. If you don't believe me just go over to summitracing.com and see how much a pair of air ride shockwaves cost. Riding with and without accumulators is like saying you want your car to perform like a Corvette, but also ride like a Cadillac. You can't have the best of both worlds.

Oh and you want to talk about riding on the highway?

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.ph ... 56654&st=0
Enough said.

maybe #3 is my opinion but the rest are not my opinion at all. ive been in both worlds, driven both and know a ton of people with both, including i have an air setup on my Monte. its not my opinion, its fact.

ya, they can both be headaches but if you setup the air system properly the first time, you wont have any problems, but for many, its not setup right. dros can never be setup right, ive never once met or talked to someone with dros that hasnt replaced batteries, wiring from being burnt as well as the actual suspension parts.

ive had my system for over a year installed and ive replaced one bag because i didnt cut enough of the pocket away and it rubbed a whole through, other than that 0 problems. there arent many places to find a leak on air either. for example: if its not the bags, tank or compressors leaking, its the line, easy to spot with soap and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor