BBC OR SBC IN G BODY

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBCMALIBUMAN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 7, 2008
Colorado
SBC or a BBC in a G Body? I think the small block is the way to go as far as price and performance, but you don't have the torque. Please elaborate on this topic
Thanks

The reasons I don't like sbc engines are long and boring. Suffice it to say, everyone has at least one (even me, and I HATE them) so...

Why would you ask this question? If you have ever owned a big block you likely would want to go that route. Even the most hated of them, the 366 truck engine, fits well in a G body.

The heads are the real difference that is worth mentioning. BBC heads are so far superior in flow and geometery that I can't imagine building another sbc. If you run used aftermarket aluminum heads, it won't break the bank and it won't weigh a ton. Having the engine all dressed in cast peripherals are what makes the things weigh so much. Ditch everything but the short block and you're good.

sbc is bang for the buck to a point. But that point / threshold gets a lot lower if you want to make said power on pump gas and or reliably. BBC or any big block ie the no replacement for displacement in general. Also as Kris said everybody & his sister has a sbc and they are put in everything even when they are often far from the best engine for the job just because too many red necks (& I R 1) think they are the only motor to even consider for anything.

if you're drag racing go with the BBC. if you want good handling, especially at the pro-touring level, go with a small block. you can get tons of power out of a sbc and you keep the weight down. also, BBC's have oil drainage problems under hard cornering and quick accel/decel conditions.

Low power in stock form. I have seen them in late 60's to present Medium Duty GM trucks (like school buses and small dump trucks) along with it's cousin, the 427. These were also labeled 6.0 or 7.0, respectively.

Keep in mind that you will have to invest a lot of money in it. It's a Big Block Chevy, so it's not cheap to rebuild. You'll still need to buy lots of parts.

I like them better than small blocks, but if you're on the cheap, you should probably stick with what you have.

then I would stick with my 4 bolt main. I asked the guy information onthe 366, he never told me it was big block, he only told me it was a 4 bolt main is 366..

From several standpoints, I would go with a Small Block. Yes, it's boring....but so what? It does it's job and provides ample cheap power to move the car. Who cares what some broke-*ss redneck at a cruise night thinks about your engine choice anyways? Most people at shows don't own cool cars, they just come to ogle the cars of those who do and drive home in a faded 1993 Honda Accord or Ford Taurus at the end of it. 99.998% of people who see your car will never see under the hood anyways( which is why my engine is detailed with black spray paint and no chrome or polish).

Here's some reasons I can think of: It is lighter and the car will handle better and brake better with the small block. Better fuel economy. You can still run stupid fast on a small block and have it be driveable on the street, just like a big block or even a Mk IV Supra Twin Turbo with a 2JZGTE. If you still do not have enough torque for your taste, run two moderately sized turbos. Parts are cheap. Junkyard parts are available easily for a small block, not so much a big block. You can keep your stock A/C box with a small block, I believe you can't with a big block ( not sure). Stock front springs work well. Stock radiators will cool it.

The main benefit of a big block is you can run similar power numbers to a small block with lower compression and a smaller cam. If you really need it, it also has more N/A headroom due to it's sheer displacement. However, unless you plan on pulling a semi-trailer or running faster than the 11's on 87 octane, you really don't need to run an engine that big. It's like comparing a LG4 305 to a Honda B16A2: The 90 ci Honda makes 160hp and the 305 ci Chevy makes 150. However, the 305 makes more usable torque and has a better overall power curve for a heavy car than the Honda does. The 305 makes probably around 200 ft lbs of torque ( don't know exactly) and the Honda peaks at 115 ft lbs, I believe. The Honda has to rev over 7500 RPM to see it's HP peak but the 305 does it much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor