Best battery for a vehicles that sits for months?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Are there any decent batteries that actually last? Found mixed reviews on Optima and AGM batteries. Don't need huge CCA but a big RC capacity would be nice.

AGM are available in other brands besides Optima, (ie; Interstate, Deka, Delco, Duralast, Diehard, etc..) it's the same old debate in that there are only a few actual battery makers, and most are just rebranded of one of those (ie; Johnson Controls). The Optima circular cell design is somewhat unique and they are perfectly fine lots of my car guys use them and love them, but to your question on sitting for months, AGM will definitely sit longer without a charger/tender hooked up and retain more of it's cranking power than a flooded battery of same rating.

I have the Deka Intimidator dual terminal 34/78 AGM in mine since Jan 2017, I do keep an AGM tender on it during the winter months when it doesn't get driven that often, but don't bother in the spring summer months. For the price, I've been very happy with it, and I had one instance where my alternator failed and I literally drove the car home about 12 miles, and even with the electric fans, and EFI, fuel pump, etc...it made it home before the battery volt dropped below 11v. It was only about 2 yrs old when that happened, FWIW.

It's not the highest in terms of RC, but there are some others at the higher price points that do.

As per usual if you're limited to a specific GROUP size for installation, that limits some capacity, but if you can fit larger sized battery in your (ie Trunk) then you have decent additional options.

These days, any sub $200 battery that can last 4-5+ yrs is a bonus IMHO, (my 2015 Corvette original ACDelco battery died almost exactly at 5 yrs, note it wasn't AGM and I replaced it with an Deka AGM as well in 2020, so we'll see how long that lasts) but I would simply say if you plan to let a car/battery sit unused for months at a time either take the battery out, use a tender, or at least install a shut off switch so yo have no chance of any parasitic drain on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, that is a reasonable price. I just realized the battery that came in my 70 Cutlass is now 8 years old. A Napa 850 CCA with big reserve capacity. The problem, thr battery died one Winter in my Dakota and I stole the 70's battery. I have gone through at least two batteries since then. I am considering another Napa battery possibly the expensive AGM with a 5 year warranty.

Best thing is going to be a shut off switch. Cars are not designed to sit around idle for extended periods of time.

Reactions: 2 users
Why do that to any battery.... as its been said, buy a battery thats tops and use a tender to keep it in "like new" condition till you drive the car.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Everyone is going to 'forget' about the battery at least once. That is why I use a deep cycle for my cars that seldom move. Even if drained totally, they suffer no damage and can be revived. I also use one on my boat for the same reason. The Die Hard Marine/RV has been very reliable.

Last edited:
I have the big staggered cell Optima deep cycle battery in my Monte and it sits a lot, both my gbody's have cut off switches that kill power to the entire car except for the stereo memory wire.
I do use maintainers for winter storage on both cars.

Battery tenders are alot cheaper than a new battery. They do a great job

• Agree
I feel battery quality is all over the place. The AGM that was factory-installed in my wife's Renegade didn't make it 3 years. I just Friday took the OReilly battery out of my daughter's Escape because it was done. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was dated July 2018...it was a flooded cell. At $220 for a 3 year warranty battery, I hope the new one does as well on lifespan.

I am a strong believer in battery maintainers, both my Malibu batteries are on them.

Reactions: 6 users
My big issue with the shut off switch is Holley's, crappy overpriced Terminator X Max. It takes forever to learn and I don't want start over in the spring. Yeah a tender is another option, probably another fire hazard. Factory batteries for me have been great on my two Challenger's, 7 years without a hitch on both. Keeping this GT till it literally rots apart, so even a good battery in a daily driver will be needed at some point as well. Where I work sells batteries but like everywhere else is hit or miss.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor