Best SBC valve covers gaskets???'s

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Those might not work on the factory valve covers that have the lip overhanging the head because of the steel core.

The MAHLE VS38110R or FEL PRO VS16829R are just rubber.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I run fabricated valve covers on both my cars and have always used steel core rubber gaskets, I use Moroso Perm Align but those should work fine.
I have these on the Regal

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Steel core rubber gaskets are the best general choice. Keep in mind that RTV doesn't adhere well to rubber gaskets, its best to use weatherstripping adhesive to glue the gaskets to the valve covers. Use a nonharnening sealant on the head side of the gaskets. Use the spreader bars and torque the bolts to about 65 lb/in. Be sure the valve cover flanges are flat.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
With rubber gaskets I’ve found them to work best with no adhesive/sealant if any kind. And that way they are re-usable also.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
With rubber gaskets I’ve found them to work best with no adhesive/sealant if any kind. And that way they are re-usable also.
I agree I have never used anything with mine and since they have the steel core they always line up with the bolt holes easily

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away

Some guys like to glue the gaskets to the valve covers to make R&R easier. The sealing surface on stock SBC heads are not machined smooth and the rubber gaskets sometimes don't conform enough to them which is why some suggest non hardening sealant or even grease to fill the micro voids and allow easier removal.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor