HORN BLACK: (-) @ STEERING COLUMN HARNESS
TACH: WHITE @ IGNITION COIL or DISTRIBUTOR
BRAKE: WHITE (+) @ SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Rockstar said:
On my last car i had a pager alarm and had the alarm hooked up to the train horns behind the grille so when the alarm went off everyone in a 3 mile radius knew it. I want to try and make some sort of push button start that needs a special key instead of the regular column key.

Alarms are worthless. When was the last time anyone here called the cops because they heard a car alarm going off (and I don't mean because it was disturbing the peace)?

The best deterrent I've ever used is to remove the steering wheel. This sounds hard, but on Olds sport wheels, you pop the horn button and six screws later the wheel is in your hand. I could get it on or off in 90 seconds.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
joe_padavano said:
Rockstar said:
On my last car i had a pager alarm and had the alarm hooked up to the train horns behind the grille so when the alarm went off everyone in a 3 mile radius knew it. I want to try and make some sort of push button start that needs a special key instead of the regular column key.

Alarms are worthless. When was the last time anyone here called the cops because they heard a car alarm going off (and I don't mean because it was disturbing the peace)?

The best deterrent I've ever used is to remove the steering wheel. This sounds hard, but on Olds sport wheels, you pop the horn button and six screws later the wheel is in your hand. I could get it on or off in 90 seconds.

They sell a kit that allows you to remove the steering wheel http://www.grantproducts.com/c-107-vehi ... urity.aspx
As far as the alarm going off and noone calling the cops, when you live in an area where there are no trains and you here a train horn going off someone is bound to see what the hell is going on. If you do have an alarm does cries wolf to the point of noone paying attention to it then the sensitivity on the alarm should be turned down.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
"alarms are worthless"

in my neighbor hood if i set mine off on accident i have every neighbor home looking out there door to see whats going on. last time we had a car broken into there was no alarm and the windows were down, kids got cought after 5 seperate neighbors called the cops. normal alarms are not worth it anymore, pager alarms are the way to go! at least if you are within a mile or so it lets you know to get to your car asap! a alarm combined with a column lock and a simple kill switch will keep them from taking the car. dont keep valuables in sight, keep face plates off and if you have a system in the trunk bolt at least your amps in and shave your trunk lock. most theives are kids and kids tend to be on foot therefore they are not going to carry a sub woofer box around so i dont bolt them in. i have had 3 break ins in the last 10 years and the most they have gotten was a eclipse cd player that had a theft warrantee so it got replaced for free. knock on wood! dont wanna jinx myself! i think another big thing is to make sure you are carefull where you park your car also, i try not to drive my cars to places that are likely to have issues instead i will get the girlfreind to drive. if i go to the store my car is the one thats out at the end of the lot where nobody parks near it and this besides saving me from door dings also makes it so everyone coming in and out of the lot sees it and if i were a thief i would not want anybody to see me breaking into a car!

Reactions: 1 user

spider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2007
Column guard (on ebay) for protecting the soon-to-be-broken column and a proximity keychain kit; Car engine cuts off if the keychain isn't nearby.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california

I got this steering column lock from http://simjack.com:8185/ but it's a hastle taking off and on....

MyBuinside.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor