Best shocks for the $ for 85 Elky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownianl

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
East Texas
I've searched this post and gotten a few ideas. Anyone want to weigh in on best shocks for the money for an 85 Elky? I've looked at the bilstein B6's for 300 a set and the KYB's for 200 a set. Anyone have any thoughts or preferences for any other brands? It's just a street car and will not see the track or any serious corner carving.
(Or at least I told my 16 year old it BETTER not!) :)

Suggestions/comments welcome

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Bilsteins are probably the best quality shock, but I just pulled a set of Gabriel rear shocks off my car with almost 100k miles on them, and they still had a considerable amount of pressure in them. I'm just replacing them with Gabriel mid- grade shocks, I got them for $20 each.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've used KYB Gas-adjust shocks for over 20 yrs and they're still good. They were the best bang for the buck. I don't know if that's still true today.
I also vote for Bilsteins. They are one of the best shocks out there, if not the best. Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks are allegedly very good as well...but on the pricey side. Konis are also on the pricey side.

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
For regular street driving, buy yourself a mid grade shock from the local parts store and be happy. You don't need to waste your money on a high dollar set of shocks that will not be of any benefit to you whatsoever. I promise ya that the only difference you will ever notice is in your wallet.

Brownianl

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
East Texas
Thanks everybody, leaning towards the KYB's for the best balance of performance and price.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Chris Van said:
For regular street driving, buy yourself a mid grade shock from the local parts store and be happy. You don't need to waste your money on a high dollar set of shocks that will not be of any benefit to you whatsoever. I promise ya that the only difference you will ever notice is in your wallet.
I agree especially if your putting them on a car that a 16 year old kid is gonna thrash.

Brownianl

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
East Texas
Well, he's not going to thrash it. (At least he hasn't yet)
Somewhat amusing actually. He drives it like he's a grandmother, parks it as far away from other cars as he can, parks it in the garage every night, refuses to drive it in the rain. We live in a rural area and I was driving home one afternoon and came up behind a line of ten cars or so backed up behind someone doing 55 in a 70. Guess who?

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Brownianl said:
Well, he's not going to thrash it. (At least he hasn't yet)
Somewhat amusing actually. He drives it like he's a grandmother, parks it as far away from other cars as he can, parks it in the garage every night, refuses to drive it in the rain. We live in a rural area and I was driving home one afternoon and came up behind a line of ten cars or so backed up behind someone doing 55 in a 70. Guess who?
We were all 16 once, Wait for it... The other shoe will drop sooner or later. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor