Best thermostat???'s

Flowkooler Robertshaw thermostats are the only ones I trust in older American cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
1000% agree with joesregalproject and add to that list Stewart EMP version of same Robertshaw modified where they drill holes in them.

I've had this one in mine (180° version) for close to 10 yrs and never an issue, and right on temperature within +/- 5°

I have their aluminum stage 2 water pump too and it's been great, and costs about $100 less than the similar Edelbrock version. Though I know a few who swear by the Edelbrock too so not knocking theirs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Best ones are the ones that start to open within a couple degrees of their rating. I've had about every type of t-stat you could shake a stick at, and I've had good ones and I've had bad ones. Always used perceived good quality stats though. Like Robertshaw, etc. They all work good until they don't.

I generally use the stock GM replacement ACDelco 131-23, GM p/n 3051189, with 195 degree rating thermostats without issue in the CCC cars. Because I care about emissions. :LOL:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Agree
They all suck so bad I won't put one in unless it passes the boiling water test. Many don't open when they should. Many don't close when they should. Even so called top-of-the-line don't always pass the test. AC Delco have been the best for me so far. Stant is not what it used to be, but then, what is?

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Dead cousin worked for Robert shaw about 30 years they probly make different repackaged brands like federal mogul does'...parts sometimes one summer I would stop by park lot on lunch break he was such a laid back guy father/solder / American..made decent wages...knoxville

Reactions: 1 user
They all suck so bad I won't put one in unless it passes the boiling water test. Many don't open when they should. Many don't close when they should. Even so called top-of-the-line don't always pass the test. AC Delco have been the best for me so far. Stant is not what it used to be, but then, what is?
Well, yeah, you always want to boil test them first. It's a tad unscientific, but the point is you don't want water boiling away while the T-stat is still shut. A bad pellet can ruin your day when it comes to T-stats.

Im currently using a Mr Gasket high flow 180degree thermostat, i've used them in the past without issue, keeps my ZZ4 engine at that same temp at all times, even during the summer... and im also rocking a copper/brass 3row original style radiator as well.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor