Best Way To Store An Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
www.cardomain.com
Hey guys got a questions for ya well i recently tore my 327 down to bare block after pulling it from my parts car.
Well i wont be able to build this engine for awhile so at the moment it is sitting on the engine stand.
I was wondering what is the best way to store it for awhile
at the moment i cleaned up the block got all the grease and gunk off of it and rubbed it down with lucas assembly lube
I was wondering is there anything else i should do to keep it from rusting or anything of the sort?

Thanks in advance guys

the only problem with the saran wrap is that it traps moisture. find some dessicant bags and stuff them in the cylinders. also try and store it somewhere dry. you may also want to spray down the oil passages and the like with something like WD-40 to create an oil film. same with every bolt hole.

Back off the valves and fog the cylinders with whatever kind of lube you want... WD40/SeaFoam, etc. Drain the old oil out of it then fill the engine with oil... I mean FILL it till it spills out to keep any moisture out, then wrap it up with syran wrap and don't be stingy with it.

That's how I do it and it works good just remember to empty the b*tch out and adjust your valves before you try to run it again. :lol:

What should I do to store my olds 350 block that has just been cleaned by the machine shop

Don't try to keep it at work. It will get stolen for scrap. :evil:

Jeezycol said:
What should I do to store my olds 350 block that has just been cleaned by the machine shop

Garbage bag.. plastic wrap..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor