Better handling without lowering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
My Malibu is my year round driver, it has the f41 package and handles a lot better than my cutlass, but it's not good enough. What is the best way to make this car a corner carver without lowering it? Only reason i dont want to lower it is for the snowy BC winters.

Now the thought of airbags has crossed my mind. This way i could keep my ride height up when i'm plowing snow with my bumper on the way to work, as the city doesnt even start their plow trucks till noon lol. Then i could get my center of gravity lower when the snow is gone and thus achieve better handling. But will that mess with my alignment? Would i have to re-align the car twice a year to avoid chewing through tires?

If I dont go with air-ride, what are the best suspension components for gbodys?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The problem you're going to have is you want softer suspension for handling in snow and rain and stiffer suspension for handling on pavement....

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Never underestimate the importance of a good set of tires. Maybe you could have 2 sets of rims. 1 set being regular wheels equipped with a good set of snow tires. (I've used skinny studded tires in the rear on some 15x7 rallies and I got good results.) The other set, maybe wider and larger rims, equipped with some good, grippy street tires.
I'm also a fan of adjustable shocks. Sway bars are good too but I've been told to always start with springs and shocks and not to rely solely on the sway bars to reduce body roll.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
307 Regal said:
Never underestimate the importance of a good set of tires. Maybe you could have 2 sets of rims. 1 set being regular wheels equipped with a good set of snow tires. (I've used skinny studded tires in the rear on some 15x7 rallies and I got good results.) The other set, maybe wider and larger rims, equipped with some good, grippy street tires.
I'm also a fan of adjustable shocks. Sway bars are good too but I've been told to always start with springs and shocks and not to rely solely on the sway bars to reduce body roll.

Definitely going to have 2 sets of rims and tires. I'd like to go up to a 17" wheel for the dry seasons, but dont know how they would look without lowering the car a little at least. Nobody likes a DONK.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
Better springs and shocks for sure. Factory springs have a pretty low spring rate. A lot of people swap in s-10 springs. Here is a good link for spring info http://www.maliburacing.com/coilspring.htm . You can also replace all the worn out factory rubber suspension bushings with poly ones for better handling as well.

Jeff k

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2013
The best you could do to help with handling issues, is to learn how to do your own alignments at home...

No rack with generic one size fits all specs can come close to dialing everything in by feel...

kustomss

Greasemonkey
Feb 20, 2010
The secret to home alignments: 8' fluorescent light bulbs. Bungee cord them to the outside of your wheels, parallel to the car. Then simply measure between the bulbs front and rear (you may need to get creative with framing squares to measure he rear). Adjust until he measurements are the same. I did my car this way a year ago and the tires wore evenly.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
seawolf18 said:
Better springs and shocks for sure. Factory springs have a pretty low spring rate. A lot of people swap in s-10 springs. Here is a good link for spring info http://www.maliburacing.com/coilspring.htm . You can also replace all the worn out factory rubber suspension bushings with poly ones for better handling as well.

Poly bushings are prone to sticking and causing snap oversteer, poly also cold flows. Best to use poly only for the body mounts and sway bar end links. For the A arms and rear control arms factory rubber is best.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Shocks are referred to as the brains of the suspension. Many are single or double adjustable. Not sure what our sponsors here have in shocks only. Ridetech has shocks only (now made by Fox Racing) for our applications. I got their airride shocks, but have yet to install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor