Big block 396cid?? coming up for sale

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sharp Z06. But I'll never quite understand Corvettes. There's nothing about them that says to me "get in and drive me, you're going to fall in love with this". Closest I ever came to getting one was a yellow '95 ZR-1. I was down to signing on the bottom line before I decided to sleep on it and ultimately pass. They're just sort of "meh". Hard to explain. I'm not even a big fan of the 60s era. The new ones caught my interest slightly, but then after further review, they didn't cut the mustard either. It's not about fast, because Corvettes are, it's just the bond ain't there.

Unless you're into spending stupid money, it's probably best to not worry too much about matching numbers on the blocks. I definitely understand the "period correctness" some people want. Like some years they had this feature, other years they didn't, etc. Some of those Corvette guys spend more money on their cars restoring them to unattainable status by anyone spending less than $500k trying to get perfection. No matter how much you spend, there's always someone else that will outspend you.

Anyway, back to the 396. The two-bolt mains were definitely the low-performance versions. Still great engines. I think I have a '76 truck 454 in the shed, if I haven't got rid of it already. It bent some pushrods and was just tired out so I built a 71 442 OG TH400 and adapted it behind a crate motor- an iron-headed performance 502 back in 1995 and that's in the truck now. Probably going to need to get rid of those too, one of these days.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Drive a C5Z06 with some mods like I've done and yea, that'll do it. Pretty much a Go-kart with leather seats. Way ahead of a C4.

I like the look of the C5 FRC, wanted that Z06 in that color since I was a senior in high school. Fortunately it happened when the time was right, bought it over 6 years ago now.

Last edited:

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I got to lay my hands on a ZR-1 balsa wood engine mockup and see a Calico ZR-1 in the "secret room" the engineers were working on in 1987-ish. I know they weren't out in public for a couple more years yet, but my dad, who had just recently retired from Corvette, just walked me in and there we were. If anyone had been on a tour back then, right in the middle of the assembly plant there was a huge plywood boxed in structure with high walls on it. You may have seen it and wondered WTF? I sure did. Inside they had two ZR-1s on car lifts working on design features and fitting the exhaust system. The 4 engineers they had working on them were too excited to tell me all the neat features of the new Mercury Marine 375 HP engines, the valet key feature, and widened rears of the car bodies. I called the one car "Calico" because every single panel piece and section was painted a different color. I think they were evaluating the paint colors. It looked rather funny. The other car was painted only one color, a deep metallic purple. Might have been the up and coming Black Rose color, but not sure.

Back to the 396. I'm in love with Olds 455s, but I'll cheat on them with a big block Chevy time and again. There is no other sound like a big block Chevy starting up, and idling with a lumpy cam through a good set of headers.

Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
That was the LT5 at the time, 350ci Twin DOHC, Lotus had a hand in that if I remember right.

I'm contemplating a BBC build into something, 600+ci just to do it. Just have to figure out what car to put it in to twist up.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That was the LT5 at the time, 350ci Twin DOHC, Lotus had a hand in that if I remember right.

I'm contemplating a BBC build into something, 600+ci just to do it. Just have to figure out what car to put it in to twist up.
Direct from those engineering guys, GM's recently purchased Lotus division did have a hand in design, but their original design wouldn't fit up from the bottom like they wanted. It was too big, so GM USA retweaked the Lotus design (I assume, since he used the term "we retweaked it"), and finally went to MM for the engine build contract. The hope was for MM to make 20+ engines per day and 3500-4000 cars slated for first year production, but that apparently got cut to just a hair over 3K units. Probably bean-counters. They gave me a ZR-1 prototype rear emblem that had a red bowtie with black/white LT5 behind it. I was in the Navy then and with moves and what not I don't know if I still even have that thing anymore. I haven't seen it in years.

Lotus also helped in the design of the ZR-1 steering and suspension, not just the engine. GM wanted it to be a real King of the Hill.

Put the 600+ BBC in your Monte. It'll fit. Or get another Monte or Malibu. Don't stiffen the frame and see what happens. Oh, the fun!

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Drive a C5Z06 with some mods like I've done and yea, that'll do it. Pretty much a Go-kart with leather seats. Way ahead of a C4.

I like the look of the C5 FRC, wanted that Z06 in that color since I was a senior in high school. Fortunately it happened when the time was right, bought it over 6 years ago now.
you got the white new balance's along side that purchase?

• Haha

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Vette's? C-2 58-62, and C-3, 63-71. By 72 the weasel squeezers and treee huggers and Eco-terrorists that had gotten themselves labelled as bureaucrats had gutted the performance out of everything up to and including 10 speed bicycles! (10th gear, NO, NO , NIO, can't have that, might sweat and actually be healthy for you.)

Best of all, personally, 66-67 with either the 96-er, or better still the 427. worth dreaming about would be the aluminum block, the ZL1?. The only draw back would be the drum brakes. Time to profoundly and brutally offend the purists and go disc, all four corners. Oh yeah, definitely with the M-22 four speed, howl like a dog and offend the little old ladies out walking their chihuahuas.

Just me, in what if mode,

Nick.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
And while I am thinking about it................

A Very HAPPY NEW YEAR to the cast and crew of this ever changing alternative reality.:D

CopperNick sends

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor