Big block in a 84 monte ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonz3482

Apprentice
Mar 7, 2011
eden, ny
Just wondering how hard it would be to install a bbc in a g-body. What changes will I have to make? how complicated is it to do? How much will it roughly cost to adapt it into my frame. I got a deal going and I hope it works out!! BBC 396 in my monte would be sick!!! Just dont want the project and the price to put a bbc in the car to make me sick!!

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Assuming the engine is ready to go, It shouldn't cost all that much. Just exhaust, front springs, bigger radiator. I think chassis mounts are the same as a SBC. I might be missing some smaller details specific to a BBC.

fonz3482

Apprentice
Mar 7, 2011
eden, ny
bbc is all set. Just gotta put it in. I thought the engine mounts were different? would my stock rebuilt sbc trans work? Does it clear the heater box? Stuff like that Im unsure on.

2Gbodys

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2011
As long as it's not a tall deck w/ tall valve covers it should fit, tight at the heater box, esp. if it's an a.c. setup, but very easily done! My 468 in my cutlass,was set for small block,and the big block fit nicely! :mrgreen:

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Hi it is a easy one todo put a bbc in a gbody.If your car has a sbc in it now just use the upper and lower mounts from you sbc, The trans is the same for sbc and bbc.And for headers hooker 2455 and you don't need to change your front coils in your car, O and your big block is about 2" longer then a sbc in front only.

fonz3482

Apprentice
Mar 7, 2011
eden, ny
Sweet guys!! Anymore info or pics of stuff to look out for would be great. My dads had a 396 in the garage all rebuilt for years. Trying to get him to give it up!

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I put this 502 in an '84 MCSS at my old job.
It bolts right in with the stock 305 mounts. Short valve covers clear the A/C box just fine.
Your stock rebuilt TH-350 will bolt up, but depending on the build, may not last long...

33378650022_medium.jpg

33378650024_medium.jpg

fonz3482

Apprentice
Mar 7, 2011
eden, ny
Well guys, if you have visited any of my other posts you know what I had in mind for my car. If not heres the story. My friend builds roundie- round race cars. I bought the motor that is currently in my car from him a while back out of one of his cars. I've had nothing but issues with it. So I was recently telling him how much I disliked the motor, and he offered to take the motor from me cuz he needs it for one of his cars, and put me together another small block together that is better for street/ drag racing rather than circle track racing. I also will be taking the car to his shop for the motor work, and hopefully some nice upgrades. Problem I have is, Im currently very poor!!! me and the wife get by and have alittle fun money, but I dont got hundreds of dollars to throw into my car every week. Sooo my dad and rebuilt a BBC 396 a while back. It just sits on a stand in his garage. We bored it out to 402ci, shaved the heads down, and put a crane cam in it. It should be a very reliable, and some what powerful. My dad has a dream to bolt the motor into a old chevy truck. Well its sat on the stand for 12yrs now and I keep telling him about trucks, he ignores me. So I talked to him today, and im about 98% sure he will part with it and give it to me. So tomorrow I'm gonna try to make a deal with my friend when i see him at the race shop. I want him to put a value on my motor, and then instead of building me a sbc, help me put the 396 in the car, and whatever we agree on for value of my sbc, he will invest that much money into uprgades, and performance parts for my car. Labor doesn't count as I help him with building cars, and pit crew duties. Things I want to do are- posi rearend, roll cage, powder coat my frame, racing seats, fuel cell, gauges, suspension work, wheels, and then paint. I think my motors value should cover alot of that work stated above as I have well over $4000 into it. I figure he would value it at @ $3000. I'll definetly keep you guys updated on progress and what deal we make!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor