BIG UPDATE! Attempt to 3D print air deflector screw caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If the back is an issue just make the tabs a hair longer
I didn't know if the recessed area physically has something that sits in there where just making tabs longer wouldn't work.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I need a set for my wagon.

If anyone has a spare let me know, I can resin cast it and it will be smooth and require almost no refinishing.

Printing works but PLA is not the material to use in this situation. ABS maybe but PLA will degrade in the UV and heat cycles even if painted. I can reverse engineer it and print with a more proper material for around $40 a set i'd estimate or resin cast in a mold for less but I'd need to make at least 10-15 sets.

Reactions: 2 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
So I hit one of the 3D printed ones with a file, and it cleaned up pretty good. Needs a little more finish work, but at least it shows this approach has potential, inasmuch as if you have a digital master file, you can at least recreate a replica. I’m not saying it’s the only way to do it, or the best way, but at least as long as I can get a 3D CAD file into the G-Body enthusiast community, all hope will not be lost if the originals go the way of the Dodo.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So no answered this but does the recessed area on the backside have to be there or not?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So no answered this but does the recessed area on the backside have to be there or not?

It's been a few years since i had a wing around here, but as i recall, the screws are an oval head, and go into a chamfered hole. That said, it seems they might protrude above the surface level of the blade, and require a little wiggle room to stay flat at the perimeter of the cap

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
So no answered this but does the recessed area on the backside have to be there or not?[/QUOTE
from a manufacturing point of view, the caps would seat better against the deflector with the recess on them. you got to remember the deflector has a slight crown to it and its easier for the cap to seat against the deflector with a void on the back side than it would if it were just a smooth convex surface. is it necessary? probably not for such a small production run, but it would be nice to have it. jmo
with that being said, something is better than nothing.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The mounting screws do not sit flush with the deflector.
The recessed area on the backside of the cap is necessary to clear the screws and allow for a flush fit.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor