Blazer dual piston setup Vs. SSBC dual piston calipers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
79loserbluebu said:
Why is everyone using Blazer brakes instead of going straight to the LS1 brakes? I know stock Blazers can come with 15" wheels, but that's not even factoring in that you'll need the adapter for our spindles. I think the smallest wheel you can use is 16" but if someone would please chime in with the Blazer setup, it'd help this thread out alot. I've got a set of Blazer calipers here at home I was going to use on my S10 with the Blazer drop spindles. Parted the set out, but still have the Blazer calipers, brackets, rotors, and pads and I'm hoping for a way to use them effectively 8)

We need to be clear what we're talking about when we say "Blazer". It's the 98-03?ish 2wd Blazer with dual piston calipers.
This setup can be run under 15" wheels. No adapters are needed, you use the entire Blazer spindle with integrated hubs, along with their rotors and calipers. You need an adapter for the brake line fitting, I believe that is all.
Adapting the blazer calipers/rotors to G-body spindles is a whole other deal... I haven't seen anyone doing that yet.

Check out this:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes ... rakes.html

After you're done reading that thread, scroll down to the bottom of any of the pages in that thread, and check out the "Linkbacks" which will direct you to various other forums that have linked to that thread and are also discussing the Blazer setup. Now that I've posted the link here, this thread should be in the linkbacks too.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
79loserbluebu said:
Why is everyone using Blazer brakes instead of going straight to the LS1 brakes? I know stock Blazers can come with 15" wheels, but that's not even factoring in that you'll need the adapter for our spindles. I think the smallest wheel you can use is 16" but if someone would please chime in with the Blazer setup, it'd help this thread out alot. I've got a set of Blazer calipers here at home I was going to use on my S10 with the Blazer drop spindles. Parted the set out, but still have the Blazer calipers, brackets, rotors, and pads and I'm hoping for a way to use them effectively 8)

In my case, I'm hell bent on using my 15" Rallye wheels, which do fit over the Blazer brakes. The Corvette/LS1 packages would require larger wheels. The package in question is completely bolt-on, but you have to use the '98-'05 2WD Blazer spindle as well. There are no drop spindles for this package. All aftermarket drop spindles are based on the older S-10/G-body spindles.

As for the sealed bearing issue, the problem is a matter of leverage. On the old tapered bearing spindles, the end of the spindle extended well past the hub center, which spread the load and reduces the amount of leverage the load can put on each bearing. The sealed bearing on the other hand, places all the load on one ball bearing positioned well behind the wheel center, which puts a great deal of leverage on the bearing. Heavier/larger diameter/deeper dish wheels will accelerate the wear. The reason the sealed bearings work on cars such as the F-body and Corvette is that they are generally lighter cars and have positive offset wheels which places the bearing pack more in the center of the wheel, reducing the load leverage on the bearing pack.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
blazer vs LS1: the blazer gets you almost exactly the same thing as the LS, but it's MUCH cheaper, and is a direct fit to the car. IIRC the LS setup requires mods to the spindle. the blazer swaps out the spindle, but is direct fit and the same geometry, but adds the advantage of sealed hubs and no mods necessary. it also allows 15in rims. you also have the advantage of matched parts and easy replacement.

to revisit 10in piston vs 3x3in think about it, how do you fit a 10in diameter piston in there?

sealed bearings have a front and rear row aiding with the weight distribution, and since they're closer together and acting on the same surface, there's less of a lever action and flexing.
unfortunately this assumes that they are made right. not something i expect out of GM. VW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc all use the sealed bearing design, for good reason and with good results.

IIRC the s-10 has the same frame as the g-body's and with the same engine they will have the same front weights. or the s-10 will be heavier as the body is larger, and there may be more reinforcement.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
huh? corvette=3000lbs camaro=3500 same as the g-body's
like i said, almost every other car company uses sealed bearings, with great success. it's only GM that i see with major quality issues.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Ok ok I was confused for a second and thought people were using Blazer brakes with the stock G-body spindles. That was my mistake.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Sorry I was mistaken about the weight of the 4th Gens. I'd be extatic though if I can get my Regal down to 3000, especially with the 'Vette's weight distribution.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
There is drop spindles for the Blazer swap, it's just the cost of the spindles is rediculous.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
megaladon6 said:
blazer vs LS1: the blazer gets you almost exactly the same thing as the LS, but it's MUCH cheaper, and is a direct fit to the car. IIRC the LS setup requires mods to the spindle. the blazer swaps out the spindle, but is direct fit and the same geometry, but adds the advantage of sealed hubs and no mods necessary. it also allows 15in rims. you also have the advantage of matched parts and easy replacement.
It's highly debatable that the Blazer setup gets you "almost exactly" the same thing as LS1 brakes.
LS1 brakes use 12" rotors, with a thickness of 1.27".
To be honest, I don't know the thickness of the Blazer rotors, but the Blazer ones are 11"
The LS1 calipers are aluminum(lighter), although they do use slightly smaller pistons(44mm).
The parts are matched and easily replaceable on the LS1 system as well.
Modifications are necessary, yes.

Saying that LS1 brakes are "almost exactly" the same thing as Blazer brakes is like saying that Blazer brakes are "almost exactly" like stock G-body brakes.

I'm not saying that LS1 brakes are "better". There's no such thing as "better". Individuals need to select the braking systems that will work the best for them, and for what they're using the car for.

Also, whether or not sealed bearings are "an advantage" is pretty debatable.

megaladon6 said:
to revisit 10in piston vs 3x3in think about it, how do you fit a 10in diameter piston in there?
Fit a 10" piston in WHERE? That's the thing. We're speaking theoretically. Nobody is going to be putting 10" calipers into their g-body. Hell, nobody is going to be putting a triple 3" piston calipers in their g-body either. Take, for example, C6 Z06 brakes. They're 6 piston calipers, but three of them(one side) only really matter. They only use 33mm pistons (1.299") for a reason. Using smaller bore multipiston calipers can't be considered an advantage because "it fits the pad better" in some imaginary application. We don't know what the application is, therefore we can't say its an advantage.

Its pointless to talk about it. I understand what you mean, and you're really saying the same thing I am. You're just saying "it fits the pad better" I'm saying: "It distributes the force better". Yes, multi-piston calipers will tend to be radially lower profile which may allow you run smaller diameter wheels. I've acknowledged that. Virtually all g-body brake swaps are multi-piston so its not really an issue. In the context of the OPs question about stopping power, wheel fitment doesn't figure in.

megaladon6 said:
IIRC the s-10 has the same frame as the g-body's and with the same engine they will have the same front weights. or the s-10 will be heavier as the body is larger, and there may be more reinforcement

huh? corvette=3000lbs camaro=3500 same as the g-body's
like i said, almost every other car company uses sealed bearings, with great success. it's only GM that i see with major quality issues.
I don't know of any S10s coming with cast iron V8s???

I'd love to drop 500 lbs off the front of my g-body.
Regardless, my point about weight was that the Blazer is probably lighter in the front than most stock g-bodies (assuming a v8 g-body). My second point was: Keep your modifications in mind. If you have more weight in the front than a stock g-body, you're going to wear your bearings even faster (SEALED OR NOT).
Also consider how you're using the car. the bearings may last 60K miles with granny driving, but when you're ripping around corners with high speed, or lifting your front wheels off at the track, they may wear out in short order. How short depends on how hard you're beating on the car (specifically the front end).

Lastly, GM bearings are what we're dealing with here, and its their durability that is being questioned, not the durability of other automakers bearings.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
With the LS1 setup vs the Blazer, you use the turned down rotors with the roller bearings and service them yourself. IMO if you are going after a performance build, that's probably what you want vs a stock replacement wheel bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor