Blazer dual piston setup Vs. SSBC dual piston calipers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
LS: 12 rotor, aluminum dual piston PBR caliper
Blazer: 11in rotor, aluminum dual piston PBR caliper
pretty similar wouldn't you say?

you are still missing the point:
"The only benefit the # of pistons gives you is a more EQUAL DISTRIBUTION of force across the pads and caliper."
but to expand the size of the pad, you hit a limit of how big a piston you can fit. so you have to go to multiple pistons. also, multiple pistons allow you to increase the coverage of the pad with out increasing the overall size of the caliper.

I don't know of any S10s coming with cast iron V8s???
AC? Big block? Cast iron vs. Aluminum parts?
how many g-body's came with big blocks? remember, many came with 6cyls, just like the blazer.
oh, and when i look up the weight for an S-10 i get 3600+, the same or more than a v8 g-body

if you reread my posts you'll notice that i keep saying GM quality on the sealed bearings sucks and the life is questionable, even under normal conditions. but they are more stable and don't need constant adjustments like the standard ones. so it's up to the individual to decide if they are good or bad for them.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
The Blazer calipers are definately not aluminum. They are quite heavy actually, I painted a couple last year that I was going to use but never did.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
megaladon6 said:
LS: 12 rotor, aluminum dual piston PBR caliper
Blazer: 11in rotor, aluminum dual piston PBR caliper
pretty similar wouldn't you say?
Only in that they have dual piston calipers... Are the Blazer calipers aluminum? I thought they were cast iron.
I wouldn't be so quick to say an 11" rotor is "similar" to a 12" rotor. That would make the G-body 10.5" rotor an identical twin of the Blazer 11". Right? :roll:
I'm pretty sure that's some rust I'm seeing there. Might just be some dust, or a weird pic.
7143d1131935123-11-bolt-brakes-turbo-t2.jpg

megaladon6 said:
you are still missing the point:
"The only benefit the # of pistons gives you is a more EQUAL DISTRIBUTION of force across the pads and caliper."
but to expand the size of the pad, you hit a limit of how big a piston you can fit. so you have to go to multiple pistons. also, multiple pistons allow you to increase the coverage of the pad with out increasing the overall size of the caliper.
You're right. I have no friggin' clue what kind of jibber jabber you're talking now.
"coverage of the pad" - sounds like "distribution of force" in different words.
In this theoretical application we're talking about, we have no limits. Make a 24" piston, a 24.5" round brake pad, and a rotor with a 24.5" wide annulus. There. It fits. Inside theoretical 60" wheels.
We can talk all day about theoretical "limits of how big the piston can be", but it doesn't matter because its not real, and there are infinite possibilities of how big things can be depending on the application they're needed for.
Besides, you took it out of context. I wasn't talking about fitment or size. I was talking about how multi-piston calipers are better at utilizing the whole pad(because the pads are designed for the caliper!), helping to prevent hot spots and pad glazing, allowing harder braking without overheating your pads.
I'm DONE on that subject.

megaladon6 said:
I don't know of any S10s coming with cast iron V8s???
AC? Big block? Cast iron vs. Aluminum parts?
how many g-body's came with big blocks? remember, many came with 6cyls, just like the blazer.
oh, and when i look up the weight for an S-10 i get 3600+, the same or more than a v8 g-body

if you reread my posts you'll notice that i keep saying GM quality on the sealed bearings sucks and the life is questionable, even under normal conditions. but they are more stable and don't need constant adjustments like the standard ones. so it's up to the individual to decide if they are good or bad for them.

No G-bodies came with big blocks. People put them in, silly. Just like people take blazer brakes and put them in.
My point is, people have experienced hub longevity to 60K miles, in a stock Blazer, probably being driven reasonably.
These blazer brakes may go into a g-body with a V8, perhaps a big block that someone has swapped in, and will mostly likely be driven hard. Two completely different scenarios, the latter probably resulting in shorter hub life.
If you re-read my posts you'll see that I already stated that how hard you beat on them, and how much weight you have over the front end is going to play a role. I never said that all g-bodies are going to be heavier in the front than a 2wd Blazer. I said v8 g-bodies probably are. Its something people may want to take into consideration when they're making their individual decision on if they are good or bad for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor