Blinker issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
Okay. When I got the car the signal lights would flash the left side but not the right. The 4 way flashers would flasher everything but the right front. And the indicator bulbs in the dash worked.

The other day I tried them and the tail lights would light up but not flash, nothing from the front and no dash indicator bulbs.

I've since replaced all the bulbs in the dash, replaced the flasher for the turn signals and the front signal light bulbs.

Now the tail lights flash, but still nothing from the front and no indicators In the dash...

I'm not really sure where to start with this.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Check it at the column. Front turns are lt blue and dark blue, rear are yellow and green in the big flat plug on the passenger side of the column. If nothing there, I'd replace the turn switch.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
I agree with fleming442 that your Turn Signal Switch (TSS) is suspect -- it sounds like the Turn Signal Flasher went bad after a bulb "went bad" (bulb or bad ground at the bulb) and maybe something weird happened that with the new Turn Signal Flasher the full 12V is going through the TSS and did something with the old switches inside the TSS
... which makes me wonder if your taillights are lighting-up when you hit the brakes

I've since replaced all the bulbs in the dash, replaced the flasher for the turn signals and the front signal light bulbs.

That means you swapped 5 parts; did you do that all at once or did you replace a part, test response, then replace the next part, test response, and so on?

Reactions: 1 user

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
Probably low on fluid......

Sorry I couldn't resist.

But I agree with the above. It's probably the switch. Just probe around with a test light and let us know what you find.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
Check it at the column. Front turns are lt blue and dark blue, rear are yellow and green in the big flat plug on the passenger side of the column. If nothing there, I'd replace the turn switch.
Sounds like a good place to start, thank you. Hazard lights to the same thing
Maybe it's in the column somewhere.

I agree with fleming442 that your Turn Signal Switch (TSS) is suspect -- it sounds like the Turn Signal Flasher went bad after a bulb "went bad" (bulb or bad ground at the bulb) and maybe something weird happened that with the new Turn Signal Flasher the full 12V is going through the TSS and did something with the old switches inside the TSS
... which makes me wonder if your taillights are lighting-up when you hit the brakes

That means you swapped 5 parts; did you do that all at once or did you replace a part, test response, then replace the next part, test response, and so on?

Nah didn't do everything at once. Changed all the dash lights two weeks ago. Changed the flasher yesterday. Then tested the front sockets with a meter, they had no power to the flasher but I threw the bulbs In anyway.

Brake lights are working properly.

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
Just went over with a meter and tested the two blue wires, they each started at .3v and climbed all the way up to a whopping 1v, obviously that's my problem...

Until I tested the rear turn signals and they did the same thing. WTF... Shouldn't something somewhere be closer to 12v?

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
And they're working... Well sort of but replacing the switch seems to be the answer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_165242124.jpg
    IMG_20200928_165242124.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 124

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If they are working I wouldn't change the switch. I'd spend my time on tracing the wires to find out where the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor