Blower fan AC/Defrost

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Agreed on that. I put my cleaned case together (Upper and Lower Case and inside Blower Case) to see where the cage and the inner case come together. Naturally, they don't touch, but they do come pretty close to each other. I see no improvements over the factory design that would help anything there.

It may be as stated [Cage Fin Design or air loss due to leaks]

I can't remember, did anybody note their volt reading at the blower when on high? That should be no resistors, straight batt voltage. Maybe the voltage is lower than it should be.

Hutch
I'm just saying it should to be checked to insure it is sitting low and raised up and not bleeding air off, as we all know the factors consistency when it comes to parts assembly lol

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So your saying VB the gap between the bottom of the blower wheel and the heaterbox is not a concern?
As long as it's not touching at any speed, it's not really much of a concern. Obviously you don't want a 3" gap or anything, but if it's 1/8" or 1/4" clearance, you probably won't feel any difference. The fan is sized enough to make up for any clearance issues. There's likely not a ton of clearance in there anyway, but you don't have to worry about backspacing as if it were a centrifugal pump, etc. It will move a lot of air as long as there's no obstructions and leaks in the system. Obviously, if you wanted to play with the volute in the casing, design away. I'm sure you could speed up the flow via design if you were so inclined.

The dirt/leaves/sludge clogging up the evap/heater core(s) and old dislodged foam and mice nests and other junk affect the air flow through the vent system itself. Also, G-bodies' ductwork isn't the most straightline either. This hinders flow to a degree as well.

I swear though that the fans in the newer cars simply spin faster, that's why the air moves like a mf on high. The fan on a 4th gen Camaro, at least mine did, flowed a lot faster on high setting than any G-body I've seen. And the impeller on those look nearly identical to the G-body fan. I'm thinking if you could figure a way to bump up the fan RPM by 10% or so on the motor, it would make a world of difference.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Someone with a car not in pieces like mine check the voltage with a voltmeter at the blower with car running and blower on high. I'm curious about that voltage. I'm going to try and check my TBSS tomorrow morning (same kind of squirrel cage design) for a volt reading.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor