Blown head gasket???

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIKD CUT

Apprentice
May 28, 2010
Can anyone help me with symptoms of a blown head gasket??? I had my carb rebuilt and in the process found out that the TPS was broken. It idled really rough but was drivable once it was warm. I have only driven it once while waiting for a new TPS in the mail.(about a 50 mile round trip). I have noticed no overheating issues. Before the carb was rebuilt, the car ran extremely rich and chugged black smoke. Now, there is no black smoke but there seems to be alot of moisture coming out of the tailpipes. I don't really notice a sweet smell coming from the exhaust and I haven't been to the garage yet to check for coolant on the oil. The car is an 87 Cutlass with a 307 with 70,000 miles on it. Any help would be appreciated.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Check your dipstick tube or change your oil to see if there are any signs of anti-freeze in it......

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if your head gaskets are leaking coolant you'll get sweet smelling white smoke from the exhaust which gets worse reving up the engine..not water droplets

mjc79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2010
horton,ks
temperature in the air has alot to do with moisture coming out of the tail pipes. or you could have gotten some bad gas when you filled up. also if the car has sat for awhile in a humid place your gas tank will collect condensation as well. like said above if its not blowing white smoke its rarely not a head gasket or cracked head. you could check your spark plugs just to make certain as they will be wet and smell like antifreeze or check the oil dipstick to see if the oil looks like a tan milkshake. just my .02 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor