HELP Body bushing kit prothane or energy suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I put ES on my off-frame 87 SS restoration and it was OK, then I noticed how harsh the suspension was after a few years. I recommend unless you go around the cones, go soft! I replaced all the body mounts as well as the suspension bushings back to factory F41 replacements. No squawks, groans and rattles. I used to drive my 70 SS with open tubes, 4:56 in the back and a crazy idle, now older and wiser that was crazy. So what is your intent? If it's going to be a nice street driver put the F41 stuff back on. And don't forget the rubber doughnuts on top of the coils. As well as the body mounts rear top of frame that they didn't come with, GNs did.

you don't feel the difference between new OEM body mount bushings and polyurethane. How much do you think a rubber body mount can compress after it is torqued down?

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Yes F41 suspension option which SS came with are firm (harder durometer rating). Regular suspension used a softer rubber. OBTW: F41 is the RPO Code used by GM for the heavy duty suspension pieces like thicker roll bars, stiffer springs and harder bushing. But you knew that :)

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Well,talk about learning something new every day !!
I never knew that the SS came with different ,firmer body bushings.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes F41 suspension option which SS came with are firm (harder durometer rating). Regular suspension used a softer rubber. OBTW: F41 is the RPO Code used by GM for the heavy duty suspension pieces like thicker roll bars, stiffer springs and harder bushing. But you knew that :)

Yeah, I noticed that RPO associated with sway bars, but had no idea it included body mounts. Are they still available? I imagine their ride quality is perfectly acceptable despite being firmer than the rest.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

what is the part number of the F41 body bushing and the standard body bushings?...

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Reactions: 4 users

matyor

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2020
I have the Energy Suspensions also and I am very pleased with their quality.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
what is the part number of the F41 body bushing and the standard body bushings?...
I would be interested in this info also. I've read alot on the forum about poly vs rubber but I've never heard of different stiffer oem rubber f41 bushings. Everyone seems really pleased with all the kits and they all seem to be complete. Im gonna do a little more research on polycarb bushings from pst before making a decision. I thought about the pucks but im gonna buy a kit to make it easy on me. I appreciate all the help/advice.

Reactions: 2 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Getting back to this one.
I got thinking about it and I do not recall seeing any thing about different body bushings for the SS in my GM Service Manual.
I believe that the body bushings are all the same.
The F41 package was,AFAIK,sway bars and springs that were a performance upgrade.
If anyone can provide positive proof otherwise,I would like to see it.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor