Body Mount Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I was wondering where people get the body bolts for their frame when they replace bushings/mounts? I've seen sets for sale from a couple places, one for $40 and the other for a little bit more, but I was thinking that you should be able to get them cheaper at a hardware store?

Does anyone know the dimensions of the two types of bolts used, the thread pitch, or if the type used have specific names?

Also, when taking the old bolts out, what do you do if they break?

Any help would be appreciated greatly (I'll include a picture of the bolt set from GBodyParts).

normal_bodybolts1.jpg

Attachments

• tach.jpg
    tach.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,324

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
I ordered a kit for mine, because I didn't know the sizes. I had to use a torch and vice grips to remove the broken ones. It was easy for me as I was pulling the frame anyway.

I would only do one side at a time, so when you brake a bolt or two you can lower that side enough to reach in with the fire and vice grips to get-r-done!

apj87442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 12, 2009
NewJersey
I had this problem on my cutlass I fixed it a while ago. I used energy suspension body mount kit 3-4141. The bolts that broke on me were the 2 on the left and 2 on the right after the rear. If these are the broken ones, you can cut a U shape,O, or an x on the metal beneath the bolt, maybe you can even use a hole saw , before cuttiting shove a center punch , hammer it an look for your indentation on the floor. Then bend or remove the metal so that you can remove the broken bolt. The speed nut somewhat rectangular and a little slanted. If you do not want to use them, you can also use self locking nuts like the ones you see on your engine mount to frame bolts. I re-used 2 since I was able to get the broken bolt out. I removed all of the bolts on the same side. Protect your door to fender gap cause they wil touch when you lift the body. Tighten until they are snug. I only replaced the 4 rear bolts. I bought them at the dealer, $2.92x4 for the bolts +tax. The ones in the pic look good. You can weld the metal after beating it back into shape spot weld a small piece of 16 guage steel or if you can get nice rubber round plugs an cut the metal to fit them.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
First, making it less ( notice I only said less ) of a nightmare is prep.

If the car is a driver, that's better.

A week before you plan on doing the project soak the bolts, bushings etc with PB Blaster. I have drilled 1/4 holes from the inside of the car to get the PB to the cage nuts which is where they sieze.

Do this everyday for a week. If you drive it all the better as it "works" the PB in.

OH, don't use an impact, it will surely snap the bolts. I try to TIGHTEN the bolts and then do a respray with the PB.Then use a breaker bar with slow constant pressure to loosen.

Here are the bolt specs:

Position 1 uses GM P/N 10049638 (sold ea., 2 needed). Bolt is 12 X 1.75 X 95mm long.
95mm is not common so you have to use 100mm.

Position 3 uses GM P/N 14085301 (sold by pkgs. of 5, 2 needed). Bolt is 10 X 1.5 X 55mm long. Also need two nuts.

Position 2, 4, 6, 7 uses GM P/N 3524497 (sold by pkgs. of 5, 8 needed). Bolts are 10 X 1.5 X 80mm long.

If you buy from a hardware store get 10.8 grade bolts. similar to grade 8 .

Kirben sells the bolt kit for under $30.00. this appears the one and only time a GN part is cheaper then it's cousins. 8)

GM Factory Original BODY MOUNT BOLTS (12) KIT #6974
Prices From: $27.95

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Shotgun,
I also would recommend soaking the bolts with PB Blaster before beginning to loosen them. and also slowly working the bolts loose using the manual method...breaker bar. It's worked for me without breaking a single bolt. There was one or two that were almost ready to snap due to corrosion.
The key is patience.
I bought my bolts from the dealer. But bought them individually, not as a kit.

Everything you said was on the money..

Jack

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
i just took the body monnts off a 84 cutlass had one that broke on the rear of the driver side but i used wd40 on the sprayed them a couple times then let it sit for a few min and then i removed them.. didnt have any other problems they came off real easy. i wud just recommend buying a kit

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
We actually carry the less expensive bolt kit as well,just under $30.00. But like posted $2.92 per bolt X 12 is 35.04 & tax. Not sure when you purchased them but we aren't getting them for that price currently. Short bolts are almost double price of the longer bolts from GM.

Some people just want GM & others it doesn't matter. Me personally it depends on the car.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
apj87442 said:
I had this problem on my cutlass I fixed it a while ago. I used energy suspension body mount kit 3-4141. The bolts that broke on me were the 2 on the left and 2 on the right after the rear. If these are the broken ones, you can cut a U shape,O, or an x on the metal beneath the bolt, maybe you can even use a hole saw , before cuttiting shove a center punch , hammer it an look for your indentation on the floor. Then bend or remove the metal so that you can remove the broken bolt. The speed nut somewhat rectangular and a little slanted. If you do not want to use them, you can also use self locking nuts like the ones you see on your engine mount to frame bolts. I re-used 2 since I was able to get the broken bolt out. I removed all of the bolts on the same side. Protect your door to fender gap cause they wil touch when you lift the body. Tighten until they are snug. I only replaced the 4 rear bolts. I bought them at the dealer, $2.92x4 for the bolts +tax. The ones in the pic look good. You can weld the metal after beating it back into shape spot weld a small piece of 16 guage steel or if you can get nice rubber round plugs an cut the metal to fit them.

Thanks for the info. Does that mount kit come with the radiator support bushings?

threetwentyseven

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2008
Medicine Hat, AB
Sorry to dig up a dead post here, but has anyone run a stock car where they could remove the body mounts and bolt the car directly to the frame? We're allowed doing it in the bomber class here and I'm wondering what size of bolts I should be using now that there's no body mounts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor