body mount bushings : rubber or urethane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
shotgun said:
Never use a trans mount that is stronger then your engine mounts.

Example,rubber engine,poly trans is no good.

Poly engine and rubber transmission is fine.

I use one poly on the driver side engine mount,rubber on passenger and poly trans on cars that see any street use.

Best of both worlds,more control with very little vibration.

WoW, i never knew that. Is there a reason wy you used poly on driver, and not on the passenger?

GP86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2007
London On.
for the body mount bushings if your on a tight budget you can use hockey pucks ....
May not be a bad idea ,.harder then rubber,the same as poly or close to ,and softer then aluminium biscuits and they dont break down like rubber ,not sure about poly over the long term.
Conrad Lozier, the person that makes the frame rails in Woodstock ships and repairs all his frames with pucks ,and he 's had no problems, one thing i could use help on is a thickness comparison on the three ,or if it matters ? just another thought :D

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
The passenger side becomes a pivot point under load.The most that can happens it compresses (sp) to the frame.

On the driverside,it is pulling up on load.If it was to cut loose it keeps going
up maybe causing fan to tear things up,carb air cleaner vs hood and so on.

To the hockey puck guys,how do they lock into the frame since they are not stepped?

To me they are a bad idea.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
shotgun said:
The passenger side becomes a pivot point under load.The most that can happens it compresses (sp) to the frame.

On the driverside,it is pulling up on load.If it was to cut loose it keeps going
up maybe causing fan to tear things up,carb air cleaner vs hood and so on.

To the hockey puck guys,how do they lock into the frame since they are not stepped?

To me they are a bad idea.

Thanx for the info Shotgun.....

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
either on the lathe or tighten down the body mount bolt until they don't move.

The bolt goes thru the middle, where are they goin to go ?

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Never used them and never will but someone already stated they can break in 1/2, never had a poly do that.

So now your budget mounts need to be turned on a lathe?$$$$$$

The frames on these car are jelly and need all the help they can.

Throw in big rubber,tight suspension and more HP you just make it worse.

My wagon used to squeak like crazy in the back tailgate area,only replaced the rear 4 bushings with poly and 80% went away and handles better.

Later added a class 2 hitch,tied the rails together nicely,now 98% is gone and handles much better.

Same idea on the front,had the trick stiff:36mm bar,SS springs,poly suspension bushings,quick box and it handled great or so I thought.

I had the Grand Prix bars,added them and it is a different car.

I build from the ground up,kinda like the old saying, "don't build your castle on quicksand".

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
shotgun...you made some excellent points....but..some people ask me why I have one of those hidden trailer hitches on my car and now you let the secret out.:shock:

regarding the hockey pucks I threw that in mainly as a joke. I know hockey pucks are used in circle track cars but the polyurethane bushings that are formed to fit the car properly are not that expensive and thought that no one would really take me seriously.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
pontiacgp,it's hard to tell on the net if someone is joking or not.
Combine that with the fact that you are a "royal smart person" and I am a mere "greasemonkey"......... :lol:

Sorry about letting the hitch thing out. Also the extra weight help you hook on the street,there I go again.

I better stop before I tell how you can run a sway bar on the front and still hook.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've been called "royal" before but it's usually followed by other words than "smart person".... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor