Body Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
If you can spray anti rust oil product into the bolt hole. Hopefully the oil will coat the area around the captured nut.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
All my body bolts came out intact, but I still had one rusted out frame mount pad I had to weld a repair washer on. The most common mount to have problems is the passenger side #2 because the HVAC drains rain water right on that mount.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
There's been a few discussion lately with regards to body bushings/cushions. This can be a 'fun' project depending on the condition of your car, after all our cars are ~30ish years old now. Note the sarcasm with the use of the word "fun". Anyway, as far as safety and ride experience in the car, this is a worthwhile project. New bushings will greatly improve the sloppiness of the feel in the suspension. If I recall correctly, I'm thinking that almost half of the main bushings were missing from my car. My car is a low mileage car and the bolts were fairly easy to remove but if your car has any 'crustiness' at all this can be a challenging job.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
New body mounts will greatly improve stability, handling, and ride firmness.
Adding the factory braces(and beefier swaybars) will also be an added improvement.
Definitely worth tackling in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Trigger87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2017
AB, Canada
All my body bolts came out intact, but I still had one rusted out frame mount pad I had to weld a repair washer on. The most common mount to have problems is the passenger side #2 because the HVAC drains rain water right on that mount.

Thats the only one I have rusted out on the front section of my frame right now. I need to repair it, what size washer did you use?

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
Agree with ed1948: Do it once - do it right.
Replaced mine with urethane mounts from Prothane and it's so much better.
Here's what my factory rubber mounts looked like on a mildly rusty frame:
IMG_3173-vi.jpg

IMG_3195-vi.jpg

IMG_3212-vi.jpg
I had the same issue and it turned out all were shot. I even had to buy washers to weld in where the mounts set up front. I went with polyurethane too. It is still not on the road so I do not know how well I will like the set up??

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
Why would one not want to use the solid bushings instead of rubber or poly?
that is my plan at least, I think the price is comparable. The solid bushings, assuming no body rust issues, would make the whole body/chassis more rigid.
https://trzmotorsports.com/wp2/?product=g-body-solid-body-mount-bushings

as for NVH... see also unibody cars.
Probably for durability in long-term use on the road. Even cinched down tight, acceleration, deceleration, and cornering loads would seem likely to cause some movement of the steel body and steel chassis that sandwich the aluminum leading to wearing the aluminum. In a competition-only vehicle, I'd think they'd be likely to get replaced fairly often (I'd guess once a season.) Poly bushing are more likely to be a change 'em once and forget about them proposition.

y5e06

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2017
ATX
leading to wearing the aluminum. In a competition-only vehicle, I'd think they'd be likely to get replaced fairly often

Perhaps there is movement, but I doubt they wear near that fast or that track cars replace them regularly, if at all.
There is also these to add
http://scandc.com/new/node/982

One of my front bushings is shot. I'll probably go the solid route all around and may include the SC&C parts, just in case.

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
Perhaps there is movement, but I doubt they wear near that fast or that track cars replace them regularly, if at all.
There is also these to add
http://scandc.com/new/node/982

One of my front bushings is shot. I'll probably go the solid route all around and may include the SC&C parts, just in case.
All speculation on my part. I have no experience using the aluminum mounts for DD/street use and don't know anyone who has. Will be interested to follow your experience with them over the long term. Please post updates from time to time. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor