Which is better?

• V8

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Boosted 4 or 6

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Electric💩

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
The electric is a whole other conversation. And there's a lot of points that maybe inter-relate, maybe don't. And it's certainly not as cut and dried as any side would like you to think.

- The first for me is this shift feels forced. You can call the motivation political if you want. Sometimes forced change is necessary, other times it can be a disaster.
- I think in particular the battery tech is still very much in it's infancy. Energy density and recharge times need to improve to not cause major inconvenience at certain times.
- If you consider longer recharge times (vs. refueling), more frequent stops for recharging (again, vs refueling), this is a recipe for much longer wait times during busy periods. It's already been seen in places around the world with people having to wait hours to recharge at times. Where a highway rest stop might have had 12 pumps, they're going to need 4-5 times that in charging stations to avoid huge lineups.
- Cold weather performance needs to improve. Vehicles lose anywhere from 25-50% of their range in cold weather. Your 200 mile range drops to 100. Imagine some poor b*st*rd in Montana driving from Missoula to Billings at Christmas to see their family. They might have to stop 3 times to recharge on the way.
- The amount of generating capacity in a lot of areas is just not sufficient enough. Trying to shift demand to the night can help substantially, but a lot more generating capacity appears to be needed if we're going to shift exclusively to EVs

Fundamentally I don't object to EVs. For 99% of the population who views cars as an appliance, I think they can be great. For my wife, it's perfect. Charge at home, most trips for shopping, work, seeing friends around the city it's fantastic. We'd never have to worry about using a public charger. But for a long road trip, nah. I'll take the truck. Or rent an ICE.

Reactions: doood
Look at it this way. Let's say you can run 11mph absolutely maxed out sprinting. Your normal good pace is 8mph though. Where are you going to last longer? 11mph or 8mph? That's how I think of turbo engines. Yes they can do it, but tye longevity isn't there. You're pushing them to the max all the time. Somethings has to give.

I also voted for electric. BUT... just for the motors not for the batteries. Electric motors make much more sense from an engineering standpoint in a vehicle. Full torque immediately. The problem is the battery technology hasn't caught up any where even close to where it needs to be. Forcing our hands to buy them isn't going to help either.

I also voted for electric. BUT... just for the motors not for the batteries. Electric motors make much more sense from an engineering standpoint in a vehicle. Full torque immediately. The problem is the battery technology hasn't caught up any where even close to where it needs to be. Forcing our hands to buy them isn't going to help either.
Silly idea that might go against the bottom line is why not rig up an alternator/generator set up driven by the electrical motors via belt, gear or chain to assist with charging that might extend range & battery life. Then working on the needed tech might be better since it won't be rushed to meet unrealistic goals & be less of a strain on the grid.

Reactions: Streetbu
Look at it this way. Let's say you can run 11mph absolutely maxed out sprinting. Your normal good pace is 8mph though. Where are you going to last longer? 11mph or 8mph? That's how I think of turbo engines. Yes they can do it, but tye longevity isn't there. You're pushing them to the max all the time. Somethings has to give.

I think the instant full torque is a problem, and, gets corrected by the nannies in computer mgmt and tons of sensors. But it does reduce the argument for instant full torque. If you drove around going from zero to 500 instant lb ft you're going to spin and break loose, exacerbated by sand, water, snow, ice on a road surface. It's why the highest HP vehicles have the same problem in such conditions.

So while it's a theoretical advantage, in the real world your ability to harness that has application problems.

Likewise, there needs to be *some* limits on acceleration, it's bad enough that it's quiet and the pedestrian risks that brings, but, think about driving - you look left, it's clear. Split second afterwards some dumba$$ pulls out and floors that instant torque and power. But you, responsible driver, then look right as you're supposed to. By the time you go to pull out that dumba$$ driver A is up to 30, 40mph and ready to t-bone you.

Right now, someone going WOT to create such a situation will have a healthy roar to the engine, and, few vehicles will be capable of it. Not so under the so called electric utopia as being marketed

• Agree
Reactions: Streetbu
Electric has the POTENTIAL to be more simple and reliable long term-

BUT, the manufacturers feel obligated to tack on a pile of associated 'self driving, video games on the dash, doors that dance, computers that phone home to the mothership' non value added, bedazzled junk that just jack the profit margins up.

Good old elon-gated musk-rat said the model 3 was going to be cheap, but they never built the low option version.

Power-curve for the ecoboost V6 has gobs of torque at low RPM, supposedly. Based on that, the ecoboost seems better than NA V8. You'll have to pry the V8 out of my cold dead hands tho.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    165.9 KB · Views: 3
Power-curve for the ecoboost V6 has gobs of torque at low RPM, supposedly. Based on that, the ecoboost seems better than NA V8. You'll have to pry the V8 out of my cold dead hands tho.
I like my Ecoboost (3.5L) But the worst thing about it is the sound. Just does not sounds as good as a 5.0L and even all the aftermarket exhausts sound like crap

Silly idea that might go against the bottom line is why not rig up an alternator/generator set up driven by the electrical motors via belt, gear or chain to assist with charging that might extend range & battery life. Then working on the needed tech might be better since it won't be rushed to meet unrealistic goals & be less of a strain on the grid.
I think what you're talking about is the same (or similar concept to the Chevy Volt. Batteries and electric drivetrain, but a small gas engine and generator on board. Drive in full electric until the batteries run down, and you always have the option of using gasoline to keep going. And in gasoline mode it was still very efficient.

I feel like the Plug In Hybrids aren't being given enough attention. Enough battery range to satisfy most of people day to day driving around with short trips etc. And conventional ICE when you need more range. We live in the country so most of our trips are longer. But if they made them with more range I think it'd be great.

I think what you're talking about is the same (or similar concept to the Chevy Volt. Batteries and electric drivetrain, but a small gas engine and generator on board. Drive in full electric until the batteries run down, and you always have the option of using gasoline to keep going. And in gasoline mode it was still very efficient.

I feel like the Plug In Hybrids aren't being given enough attention. Enough battery range to satisfy most of people day to day driving around with short trips etc. And conventional ICE when you need more range. We live in the country so most of our trips are longer. But if they made them with more range I think it'd be great.
It'll be an electric with it's own self suppling power/recharge source driven either by a shaft off the eletrical motor or off the drive wheels. A means to assist the charging and/or supplement the batteries.

Unfortunately that is a form of perpetual montion which breaks the laws of thermal dynamics. Basically a generator would send out less energy that it receives and would drain the battery faster by being an extra load. With energy there is no free lunch. The closest thing to this that works is regenerative braking.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor