BOP manual trans bellhousing

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Perusing around the Silver Sport Transmission website and happened upon this:
Might find one cheaper, but at least they're available.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, they are I plan on picking up a similar one for my 70S.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Perusing around the Silver Sport Transmission website and happened upon this:
Might find one cheaper, but at least there available.
There are 3 original 78-79 A body specific bell housings on Ebay right now. The one you posted on Silver Sports site does not have the lowered pivot ball location needed to clear the floor in the 78-88 cars. The casting numbers are 10008979 or 10000808.

And this one

And this one

Last edited:

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
There are 3 original 78-79 A body specific bell housings on Ebay right now. The one you posted on Silver Sports site does not have the lowered pivot ball location needed to clear the floor in the 78-88 cars. The casting numbers are 10008979 or 10000808.

And this one

And this one
Good observation. Is it safe to assume the A body specific bellhousing isn't necessary with a hydraulic release/throwout bearing?

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Good observation. Is it safe to assume the A body specific bellhousing isn't necessary with a hydraulic release/throwout bearing?
It doesn't matter then if you are activating the clutch hydraulically. But it is critical with stock linkage as the typical bellhousing puts the clutch fork into the floor where the gas pedal is located.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My original '81 Malibu used the Chevy V-6 and Saginaw 3 speed trans. The stock clutch fork was bent to clear the floor. When I put a Pontiac 350 in I used a standard BOP bell housing. I had to massage the floor with a sledge to get the fork to clear. That I understood. But right now in my '83 Bonnewagon I have a Pontiac 301, a 1960's Pontiac OHC-6 bell housing, and the standard Pontiac fork cleared the floor with plenty of room. I just figured the Pontiac floor was different from the Chevy. I used the stock Malibu linkage with all of this.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I’ve been lucky a was able to get both the flywheel and bellhouseing from my brother. Hold on to it in hopes to put it behind a 68’ Olds 350 I’m wanting to get rebuilt.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
My original '81 Malibu used the Chevy V-6 and Saginaw 3 speed trans. The stock clutch fork was bent to clear the floor. When I put a Pontiac 350 in I used a standard BOP bell housing. I had to massage the floor with a sledge to get the fork to clear. That I understood. But right now in my '83 Bonnewagon I have a Pontiac 301, a 1960's Pontiac OHC-6 bell housing, and the standard Pontiac fork cleared the floor with plenty of room. I just figured the Pontiac floor was different from the Chevy. I used the stock Malibu linkage with all of this.
I used a regular 621 bell housing on my first Malibu 30+ years ago. The floor had to be bashed in right where your foot rests for the gas pedal. I personally would never do that again. But I guess it's acceptable to some people. There is a reason GM tooled up BOP bell housings with the lowered pivot ball position.

Reactions: 1 user

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Well...can I say before we knew any better...I had a Lakewood scattershield in the SS with a purdy straight clutch fork and the same battle damage to the trans tunnel. I kinda wonder what it would take to run the appropriate Gbody clutch fork. I'm sure the pivot ball would need to be relocated and clutch fork window would need to be relieved to accommodate. Which raises another question, would my z-bar and linkages work with the gbody fork.

At some point in the venture, I did buy another Lakewood scattershield but with the BOP pattern for my Buick. I should drop the P as recently I learned it doesn't have the starter pocket for a Poncho engine. Same deal here with the Gbody clutch fork but it brings up another question regarding SFI ratings from the butchery of the BH.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I just did a quick search. I don't see the Chevy bent-down clutch fork at all. It exits the bell housing window and drops down sharply to clear the floor pan. I always wondered if you could use it with a BOP bell housing for more clearance.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor