BOUGHT A 82' DIABLO!!!!(bit of a story,here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianGMCgirl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2014
Leduc,Alberta,Canada
Well I finally did it! I sold my newest car a 79 Factory 4 speed Caballero...I lost 3,000 worth of labor and parts fixing it up but with good reason I also finally sold my 1959 Camino(not easy to see her go).....in late summer someone replyed to my ad on another forum about looking for a Diablo...didn't think much of it,but the guy was extremely nice and I had a good feeling..the back story on the car was hard to resist..it was his brother beloved car for 20 years.But he passed away in the early spring...and not to destroy all that he loved he wanted to find another true Car lover that would not wreck and modify the car.I was approached and well..rest is history. I also got so many pics that I was satisfied with the condidtion. Allen is so wonderful that he didn't stop there, he kept fixing the car up! He wanted to make sure he didn't sell me a car that wasn't in good shape...and recently it got a all around brake replacement(a xmas present from him and his brother)! YUP im one lucky girl! Not because of the money he put in after the sale but I have gained a internet FRIEND,who shares his life with me....my car is being stored at his house in a warm garage until spring..errrr.well until Feb,from there I will get his help to find storage until the roads through the mountains are snow free...I will fly down and meet him and his wonderful wife and drive my new baby home...and visit family along the way! ok ok heres my 1982 Diablo.......its a auto as well..with a bench, I just didn't want to drive stick...too much concentration shifting..lol It will need new carpet and new seat upholstery...minor 😀

Attachments

• 018 (2).jpg
    018 (2).jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 834
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 813
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 842
  • More Cabellero photos 015 (Large).jpg
    More Cabellero photos 015 (Large).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 801
Congratulations on your new wheels! Judging by the photos, the Diablo looks like a really nice vehicle, and judging by your story, it sounds like you have some new friends. One of the things on my bucket list, would be to find a nice vehicle that I like, that would require a road trip to bring it home, then to make the trip, the same way that you're going to do.
Another way to look at your story, is to think that you've made a couple of other owners happy by selling them the Cabellero and you '59 Camino. I'll bet that they'll have some good stories to tell, and some fond memories as well.
Again, congrats on the Diablo. I hope that everything works out well with getting it home.

Real nice, I'll bet you are biting your nails to the quick waiting to get it home. More pix when you get it please!

Some tips from a guy who drove g-bodies home before; Voltmeter the battery to check it out or buy brand new is better. Test the alternator too - and not just sitting running, lot drive it on the property a bunch for 10-15 min and then check again. The stock alternator is less than $150 so if you get different readings buy 1 before you leave - or just bring a wallcharger style battery tool to jump it just in case. Expect the fuel filter to be a problem and pack an extra. This is because of all the damn ethanol in today's gas and the small size of the stock fuel filter vs ethanol makes for short life. Full size spare on a rim is good to have. You're likely to have a blowout when a car sat so long b/c even w new tires on it the rim could have a 'flat spot' but more than 1 is very low odds. Bring a ratchet set. You can fix 85% of the things you need to fast in cold weather w/ just this 1 crucial tool. If you don't pack a single other tool besides the jack - bring a ratchet set. Expect the brake fluid line to fail. You can tie the brake line itself in a knot if you lose brake pedal in a rural area road-side. Do not set the parking brake. It is probably rusty and may not release. Treat your e-brake like a back up parachute! Pray you just don't need it. Don't top off your gas like in a new car. First of all most cars that sat long leak some fuel if you go over 3/4 tank. Secondly, the stock fuel pumps are kind of lame and may fail if you top off a tank. Third you don't want to put a full tank only to discover that not all the fuel is making the trip to the engine. It's very good to have a gas can with a few gallons in it just in case. Put stabil in the fuel if the temp outside is still very low. Keep the gas can out back - you'd be surprised how combustible the stock seats are so don't ever drive w/ fuel in a g-body w stock seat. If you do find a fuel leak make sure to use duct tape or electrical tape to tape off any loose wires or bulbs in the rear bumper area of course. If you find a fuel line leak on the trip make sure you have electrical tape AND duct tape to cover that b/c electrical tape doesnt have much adhesive. Bring a radiator cap its not even $7 but you'll wish you'd had it if the car overheats the cap gets bent and you're not going anywhere then w/o new cap! Last but not least never forget that in a bad situation a g-body is still going to have a poor 60-0 stopping distance even with brand new equipment and body-roll is always going to be a factor so drive with two hands, no phones. Consider bringing a i-pod and pull the fuse or power cord to the stock radio. The relay to the stock radio can fail at any time and kill your battery while you're in a gas station chatting or getting warm. It's just not worth listening to the stock radio until you redo the fuses and relays. Slow down for old rail road tracks. Cars that sat this long the rear window can blow up into spiderwebs easily from just 1 set of RR tracks!

Hope this helps and welcome to a great site. Be happy to own a rare version of El Camino which is sure to go up in value one day if you garage it up and maintain it. No need to feel guilty about preferring the bench / column set-up. I'm a guy and admit I prefer it too 8) welcome.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrockatansky
2udw6xz.jpg

This is what happens when you don't pack the right stuff. Then you get to meet Stanley and Steve and they try to rip you off for 'repairs' you don't actually need and lowball offers to buy the car barely above scrap value :puke: . Pack the right stuff!

Don't let my post scare you from taking the trip. I learned the hard way trying to drive my 1st g home but the next 3 I owned I brought toolbox came prepared and made it home w/o any bs going down. One last important thing to have I forgot is starter fluid / carb cleaner definitely have a can of that on deck at all times too. If the pin in your carb goes slack mid trip you will need the starter fluid spraying in as you fire up the 305 until you rebuild the carb w/ a kit.

hahaha Thanks Guys! Pencero,I think that's sound advice,I did pack a fully stocked tool box in My Caballero...extra wiring stuff duct tape etc..but I will follow your lead and pack the suggested...This car was a year round driver..just in the spring/summer she has got less use(due to a death)..his brother sold me the car,took it on a few short road trips and had just about everything tested fixed or replaced..lol...otherwise I would not consider it....p.s it has had its engine replaced with factory GM...awhile back. think I will get a whole new gas tank/with sending unit though,as its not reading 100%..and its a old car.
you can never be too prepared!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor