Boxing lower control arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJVgmguy

n00b
Jan 16, 2017
I picked up a spare rear and it came with control arms. I was thinking of boxing the lowers and swapping them in. I tried to search on here to see if it was a good or bad idea and couldn’t come up with a solid answer.
I boxed the arms on my brothers 82 wagon find some flat plate cut to size and weld in .simple job!

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You can find the appropriate size bar stock at your local Lowes or Home Depot. Cut the length and have at it. In my case, I didn't have access to a hydraulic press, so I had to pay a local shop to press in the new bushings.

Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
You can find the appropriate size bar stock at your local Lowes or Home Depot. Cut the length and have at it. In my case, I didn't have access to a hydraulic press, so I had to pay a local shop to press in the new bushings.
I grabbed the bar stock from Home Depot and I have the large c clamp style tool for the bushings. If it doesn’t work I’ll see if I can use someone’s press.
I was wondering if you could post some closeups of your front end? I’ve been toying with narrowing the bumpers and I was thinking of putting it off but after seeing your wagon I have to do it this time around. I’d like to see a close up of the fender area and the area between three grill if you can. Thanks

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I grabbed the bar stock from Home Depot and I have the large c clamp style tool for the bushings. If it doesn’t work I’ll see if I can use someone’s press.
I was wondering if you could post some closeups of your front end? I’ve been toying with narrowing the bumpers and I was thinking of putting it off but after seeing your wagon I have to do it this time around. I’d like to see a close up of the fender area and the area between three grill if you can. Thanks
I know I promised some front bumper pics...sorry about that. I'll get some later in the day.

As for the control arms, you'll more then likely need some type of spacer(s) to keep the arms from crushing when pressing in the bushings. Removing the bushings, if I recall, I might've drilled out the rubber bushing and crushed in the sleeve using an air and manual chisel.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I know I promised some front bumper pics...sorry about that. I'll get some later in the day.

As for the control arms, you'll more then likely need some type of spacer(s) to keep the arms from crushing when pressing in the bushings. Removing the bushings, if I recall, I might've drilled out the rubber bushing and crushed in the sleeve using an air and manual chisel.
I was hoping that if I boxed them first I’d be good.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
No, it'll still be pretty flimsy. Get some 2" black pipe, cut it to fit inside, then split it lengthwise. Use that to support the arm inside while you press the new bushings in.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was hoping that if I boxed them first I’d be good.
I actually boxed mine before having the bushings pressed in, but I also did what ^Bruce^ suggested.... adding pieces of black pipe in between....especially if you'll be using a factory sway bar.
When I boxed my control arms, I completely enclosed the arms, not just adding a bar stock plate. I feel it made the arms considerably stronger. I'd still be extra cautious pressing in the new bushings.

*Bruce, I think I misunderstood what you meant at first. Did you mean splitting the pipe and using it lengthwise for added support?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
My plan was to put the pipe in between the holes for the sway bar then completely box the arms. I saw some where they only plated the bottom of the arms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My plan was to put the pipe in between the holes for the sway bar then completely box the arms. I saw some where they only played the bottom of the arms.
That's pretty much what I did to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor