Boxing lower control arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Boxing the stock lower arms is a bad idea as they are designed to flex on purpose to prevent suspension binding and damage to the weak LCA mounts on the frame. The rear 4 link suspension relies on control arm flex and bushing deflection to operate correctly. Boxed arms and especially poly bushings induce binding issues. The only way to run box or tube rear arms is to use ones with spherical joints. Also its a good idea to weld on gussets to reinforce the LCA mounts. Even the stock rear sway bar causes binding, which is why the frame mount aftermarket sway bars are better.

I agree with this 100%. The reason you get replies like, I've never had a problem is because the mounts are pretty strong on G bodies but I have seen this EXACT problem on fox Mustangs with the same 4 link suspension. Articulation causes places twisting forces on the mount and when you stiffen the arm and add stronger bushings, that is just more twisting on the mount.

A stamped steel arm will not deflect under compression or tension. Lateral forces will not change their length. The are only meant to locate, which they do, even when made from stamped steel.

Reactions: 1 user

Ron_NC

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2019
I agree with this 100%. The reason you get replies like, I've never had a problem is because the mounts are pretty strong on G bodies but I have seen this EXACT problem on fox Mustangs with the same 4 link suspension. Articulation causes places twisting forces on the mount and when you stiffen the arm and add stronger bushings, that is just more twisting on the mount.

A stamped steel arm will not deflect under compression or tension. Lateral forces will not change their length. The are only meant to locate, which they do, even when made from stamped steel.

I hate to post this sorta off topic, but I bought these used. Should I worry about these? ->

20200606_113451.jpg

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I hate to post this sorta off topic, but I bought these used. Should I worry about these? ->

View attachment 151464
For mild street driving, they work. They'll just bind (stress the mounting points) sooner than stocker arms might. The more severe the use (abuse?), the sooner things can fail. Solid arms should utilize spherical joints to allow more flexibility before bind.

Ron_NC

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2019
For mild street driving, they work. They'll just bind (stress the mounting points) sooner than stocker arms might. The more severe the use (abuse?), the sooner things can fail. Solid arms should utilize spherical joints to allow more flexibility before bind.

Dang ☹️ Thanks for the reply

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
If boxed arms are bad why would anyone “upgrade” their suspension to tubular or boxed arms? All I’ve read over the years is to use rubber bushings over poly.

Reactions: 1 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
What a ridiculously controversial subject. Box them. Period. Solid spacers if using a sway bar. Period. Solid spacers if not using a sway bar because you might want to later. Period. The arms in the ‘off topic’ picture will work fine. Better than fine. Period. Articulating uppers are better but not that much. Period.
When you ask a question like ‘will this work’ you should know you’ll get more negativity than positive help. So don’t panic out when it happens. Everybody is a pro-mod driver when opinions start flying. Go with what you got and upgrade if you just hate it later. Don’t lose sight of the fun by burying up in the weeds of every discussion.
Go back to the beginning of the thread. Read through post #8. Stop there. And just do it.

steve

Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
What a ridiculously controversial subject. Box them. Period. Solid spacers if using a sway bar. Period. Solid spacers if not using a sway bar because you might want to later. Period. The arms in the ‘off topic’ picture will work fine. Better than fine. Period. Articulating uppers are better but not that much. Period.
When you ask a question like ‘will this work’ you should know you’ll get more negativity than positive help. So don’t panic out when it happens. Everybody is a pro-mod driver when opinions start flying. Go with what you got and upgrade if you just hate it later. Don’t lose sight of the fun by burying up in the weeds of every discussion.
Go back to the beginning of the thread. Read through post #8. Stop there. And just do it.

steve
Thanks,bro

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I’ll add this, and it’s just my opinion on this subject. Metal isn’t supposed to flex. Every time it flexes it gets weaker and eventually will break.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I’ll add this, and it’s just my opinion on this subject. Metal isn’t supposed to flex. Every time it flexes it gets weaker and eventually will break.

Sometimes, in some applications. In lots of mechanical applications metal is definitely designed to flex and is tested to do so. It is called 'fatigue cycle' testing. The parts are designed to perform within this fatigue cycle life.
In most cases if something doesn't flex, something with break. The bushing does this job on a boxed arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor