Brake bleeding problem, low pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuickGNX1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2008
i have an '86 bonneville that i just replaced all brake lines on. also replaced wheel cylinders. front calipers are still fairly new. no leaks detected in master cylinder, which is probably original. after replacing lines and wheel cylinders, i bled the brakes. i bled them by having one guy working the pedal and one opening the bleeder screws. the process was a as follows. pump the brake pedal then hold it down. while the pedal is held down, bleeder screw is opened and pedal drops to the floorboard. with pedal still down, bleeder screw is closed. we repeated this process on all 4 wheels until no air comes out. With the car off, the pedal is high and firm. however when the car is turned on, the pedal drops to within an inch or two of the floorboard before it stops. when the pedal does stop it is firm and the car stops quite well. This seems to happen on all cars that i bleed brakes on so im not sure if im doing something wrong or not, thats why i tried to include most details of how i bleed the brakes. my question is, how do i get the pedal to firm up where its supposed to, closer to the top of the brake pedal's travel? any suggestions would be helpful to this extremely frustrating problem.

malibu80

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2008
Seattle washington
Bleeding brakes

Been there done that. It seems that at the proportioning valve there is this rubber knob that has to be pushed in and held while the system is bled. This is mentioned in my GM manual.

BuickGNX1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2008
i haven't tried holding in the proportioning button before. however, i put rear brake shoes and adjusted those manually, just to where there was slight drag when spinning the drum.

BuickGNX1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2008
i found some info that said the proportioning valve needs to be held in while pressure bleeding the brakes, but does it need to be held in for manual bleeding as well?

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
You open and close the valve BEFORE the pedal hits bottom.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
hitting the floor isn't good, but it's not the root cause. what i've found works well is to pressure bleed everything, then just uncover the resevoir, open the farthes bleeder first and let it gravity bleed for awhile. then do the others. i don't know why exactly, but it does work.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
If you've already hit the floor and the valve is open you risk letting air into the system.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you don't say if the reservoir was emptied when you did your brake work but if it had then you need to bench bleed the master. As for bleeding the brakes you don't mention what corner your doing first but you need to start off with the wheel furthest from the master. I use speed bleeders on my vehicle and they make bleeding the system alot easier

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor