Brake pads & rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
After getting the right coil compressor & the front suspension back together, I'm now running into an issue with standard replacement pads fitting. Fells like a newbie with these simple issues. I'm using stock spindles, calibers, & slotted rotors. The pads are from Autozone (MKD154). The pads don't look like the last set that was used n '03 for the last brake job. The pads have a stud for the wear indicators that catches the spindle when the wear indicator is down, but fits with a little hammer help with the indicator is up, the the rotor won't spin. I still need to check the rotor thickness to compare to stock. After all the A/G bodies I have owned & helped work on, never have I had this issue. Has anyone else run into this problem or just check rotor thickness.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if they are not the same design of your old pads why didn't you return them before trying to install them?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
MKD154 shows to be the correct Bendix part# for our cars. Picture shows the standard type wear indicator attached with a rivet. Did you eyeball them up against your old ones?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
HAH! Yes, I agree. Plus at the factory/warehouse who knows what goes on. Wouldn't be the first time the wrong part came out of the right box. But when something doesn't fit the first thing I do is compare the parts. One should never do this-"but fits with a little hammer help ". :blam:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
For years, Autozone has been where I have got my pads & shoes. But I never thought there would be a change with how their pads would be, 24 years of ownership you would never think a place would redesign the pads you use. Just go in, tell them it's an '81 Monte, the give you a box marked 154, & you're good thinking you don't need to look at them. As it proves, going cheap doesn't pay. Open the box & look at the parts don't hurt ether. This really makes me feel newbie after this. Even getting the universal fix-it tool out to make it fit. Any suggestions on a better set of pads to work with slotted/drilled rotors.

DreamRyder1963

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2014
They MKD 154 is a cheap semi-metallic pad. They are good for people that are to cheap to buy real brake pads. I always go with a GMKD series or better. Plus you are running slotted rotors why not not also get good ceramic pads too?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have had very good luck with Severe Duty/Police/Fleet/Taxi cab pads and shoes. They last forever on my cars, and even extend the idiot women's brake jobs from less than a year to 2 or even (gasp) 3 years! :shock:

DreamRyder1963

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2014
Severe Duty pads are ceramic 9 out of 10 times. They brake faster, are quieter, and have less dust and last much longer. I only run ceramic if I have an option. I have had several sets of the cheap MKD pads fall apart after a few stops in my corvair (not heavy vehicle).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor