Brake problems once again -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Well it seems every car i get im plagued with a break problem. Ok so on Friday i replaced all 4 calipers because 2 of the 4 were seizing so i said might aswell do them all before the other 2 sieze. So everything was good placed the 4 new ones on and began to bleed them. Everything went well pedal was firm when i was backing up. As soon as i start to go over 20 kmh and try to stop the pedal just goes straight to the floor before it stops. So figured okay air in lines we can bleed them again. So we bled them again today and made sure to get all the air out. It feels better now but still the pedal is terrible! Like when i push it down a touch i can feel the car stopping but then it goes away and the pedal just sinks till it starts to stop again. Its full on fluid, we never let the master cylinder go dry, we started from lr,rr,lf,rf and still i have a shitty pedal. We were thinking of bleeding the master cylinder but we couldnt find the bleeder valve. Any thoughts guys?
This is on a 2000 Monte carlo SS

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
The order should be rr,lr,fr,fl. U always start at the furthest point which would be right rear.also did u have your rotors resurfaced or at least scuff them up? If the rotors are glazed over they can give u a shitty pedal feel for a couple days.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Bowiemontecarlo86 said:
The order should be rr,lr,fr,fl. U always start at the furthest point which would be right rear.

Oops sorry thats what i meant. If i was looking at the car from the front then its lr :p But yea i did it that way and still a shitty pedal. I know it cant be the MC because the brakes were working perfect before, maybe a little tight due to the seizing but still good stopping power.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sounds like a major leak, or bad master cylinder. If there are no leaks, then I'd replace that master. And don't forget to bench bleed it first.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Bonnewagon said:
Sounds like a major leak, or bad master cylinder. If there are no leaks, then I'd replace that master. And don't forget to bench bleed it first.

Its not leaking anywhere though! The fluid level doesnt change in the MC, i dont see how the MC can be bad now, the breaks were working great before :(

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
how were the brakes working great before when you had 2 seized callipers? Also there is no bleeder valve on the master, it's bled by routing the brake fluid back into the resevoir

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
are your bleeder valves facing upwards? if you switched sides perhaps then if your bleeders are facing downward, then you didnt install them right and you can't bleed them right

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Lorenzo said:
Bonnewagon said:

Its not leaking anywhere though! The fluid level doesn't change in the MC, i dont see how the MC can be bad now, the breaks were working great before :(
It doesn't have to be leaking externally. I've done brake jobs and just the act of bleeding the brakes can dislodge crud from the reservoir and get stuck in the cups/seals in the master causing an internal bypass. It can be intermittent too. Try bleeding it some more. If all else fails, replace the master.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
so you bled the all the calibers and they still don't feel right? the fluid level hasn't changed meaning loss. look around the master cylinder where it mounts to your booster to see if there is fluid there. so it could be the mc or the booster is bad that would make your brake pedal act up as well. even check to make sure the vacuum line is hooked up. just some ideas

Indycutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2011
I second what driven said. The master can internally bypass. May not have notice because the calipers were bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor