HELP Brake switch wiring- 4L80E TCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Looking to use this fbody pedal switch for my two step. Which of the 4 additional pins should I hook up to get the signal for the two step? I can set as ground or +12v In the Holley.

I can send you a pic if you'd like.

Reactions: 1 user

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
A picture would be great

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I used the brake light switch power wire via splicing. Used that as the signal for pin 85 of a relay. Pin 86 ties into a switch that had the other side go to ground. Then use pin 30 and 87 as grounds. Safer that way, you can never over amp/volt your ECU i you supply it with a ground.

To confuse it a little more, I tied the sloppy trans brake into the ground side of the 2 step switch via a relay to so that the 2 step won't work unless the trans brake is activated. But when I let go of the trans brake the 2 step is deactivated whether my foot is on the brake or not - which was what I was after.

Don't overthink it and use a relay to trigger your inputs - safety first.

Which wire is the power to the brake lights? The orange one?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A picture would be great

Are you trying to hook up the Sloppy trans brake a well?

And I want to make a correction to my previous response, I previously mentioned that I have my 2 step hook to the brake light switch - I did before I hooked up the trans brake. But I changed the input control of the two step to the trans brake button so that both would deactivate at the release of the trans brake button.

Attachments

• IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 389

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Which wire is the power to the brake lights? The orange one?

The one that doesn't have 12v+ with key on and engine off. I'm not sure to be truthful, but I would assume the white wire is the one that you want because GM usually has the orange wire everywhere in the car to be 12v+ at key on and engine off.

I use a multimeter and leave nothing to be guessed at.

Reactions: 1 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
The one that doesn't have 12v+ with key on and engine off. I'm not sure to be truthful, but I would assume the white wire is the one that you want because GM usually has the orange wire everywhere in the car to be 12v+ at key on and engine off.

I use a multimeter and leave nothing to be guessed at.

Orange has +12v key off.

there are two sets of wires: orange/white and green/grey.

green/grey is not hot at all

Reactions: 1 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
This relay says pin 86 to switch?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 240

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
86 would come from whatever is the switch and when sent 12v to 86 it will pull in the coil making the contact to send power to whatever the relay is servicing

Reactions: 2 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
86 would come from whatever is the switch and when sent 12v to 86 it will pull in the coil making the contact to send power to whatever the relay is servicing

so still wire the way you have it drawn?

this relay has an 87a (red). What do I do with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor