HELP Brake switch wiring- 4L80E TCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Alright, the plot thickens. As I was about to undo what I did I noticed another brake type switch above the normal one. It appears to have a vacuum line and a two prong plug with whattya know....a purple and pink wire just like what I need. However, I think this is a cruise control related switch, but I CAN'T LOCATE IT ANYWHERE IN THE HAYNES MANUAL SCHEMATICS!!!!
Guys, any ideas if I can tap into this instead???
20190728_225114.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well, here's where things get sticky. Your original cruise system was pretty much a stand alone system. If you want to retain cruise on the LS ECM, you don't need any of that crap. DBC- you need to switch over to the Tahoe/Silverado setup (see 81cutlass's build thread) or DBW- just tie the column cruise switch to the ECM. The old cruise system uses the optical sensor on the back of the gauge cluster as a speed sensor; your 4L80E has it's own built in.

To answer your question: you might be able to use the pink wire as long as it's still there (and hot) when you remove the old cruise system. The purple wire cannot be used; you'll be building a duplicate circuit for the new system whichever way you go. A lot depends on what you're doing for gauges.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well, here's where things get sticky. Your original cruise system was pretty much a stand alone system. If you want to retain cruise on the LS ECM, you don't need any of that crap. DBC- you need to switch over to the Tahoe/Silverado setup (see 81cutlass's build thread) or DBW- just tie the column cruise switch to the ECM. The old cruise system uses the optical sensor on the back of the gauge cluster as a speed sensor; your 4L80E has it's own built in.

To answer your question: you might be able to use the pink wire as long as it's still there (and hot) when you remove the old cruise system. The purple wire cannot be used; you'll be building a duplicate circuit for the new system whichever way you go. A lot depends on what you're doing for gauges.
Gotcha, makes sense. After the last post I dug put a chassis manual and found that switch which is a cruise control release switch. I'm gonna look into wiring it a different way. My gauges are all Autometer so that doesn't help me there. I'll update my findings.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Ok, so this is where I'm at. I tested the factory switch and the pigtail with gray and brown wires is normally closed, then goes infinite or open when brake is pressed. In theory, this should work for my harness since the TCC wire just needs a +12V signal without brake applied (see pics).
20190729_203229.jpg
20190729_205602.jpg

My thought is to tap the purple wire to the gray wire, and once I actually have power to the car I'll re test before driving. Any reasons this won't work???

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
My point was that you wouldn't be using the blue for anything else. So, yeah, zip it back to the third, OR did 87-88 already have one wired? Or is that the wire for it?:unsure: Things that make you go "hmmmmm".

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
My point was that you wouldn't be using the blue for anything else. So, yeah, zip it back to the third, OR did 87-88 already have one wired? Or is that the wire for it?:unsure: Things that make you go "hmmmmm".
87-88 is already wired, mine came like that from the factory. According to the schematic there is a yellow wire that ties into the harness from the brake switch for the 3rd light.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor