HELP Brake switch wiring- 4L80E TCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Finally getting around to this. And realizing that 1984 switch won't work. Should I Just order the 1996 Camaro switch and go from there or is there something better to use?
This is for brake lights activation and torque converter lockup using Terminator X max.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Finally getting around to this. And realizing that 1984 switch won't work. Should I Just order the 1996 Camaro switch and go from there or is there something better to use?
This is for brake lights activation and torque converter lockup using Terminator X max.
Splice into the brake switch wire that is not 12v+(hot) all of the time. My car is an 84 with two switches, one for cruise that I treated like an empty beer can, and the second for the brake lights. I spliced into that and IIRC, it was the white wire. The orange wire was hot all the time, again IIRC. But not challenging at all to confirm. And if you booger it up, then it will not lock the TC (hehe).

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Tony, follow Jim's lead since the switch should be the same as his. In the event you need the camaro one, don't buy one. Let me know and I'll send you the one I got but am not using since my factory switch works fine.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Splice into the brake switch wire that is not 12v+(hot) all of the time. My car is an 84 with two switches, one for cruise that I treated like an empty beer can, and the second for the brake lights. I spliced into that and IIRC, it was the white wire. The orange wire was hot all the time, again IIRC. But not challenging at all to confirm. And if you booger it up, then it will not lock the TC (hehe).
Thanks. I actually thought about doing this. And I (or Holley) made it more confusing than it should be. Their directions say must be connected to 12v+ so ??? I've read so many guys say make it 12v then zero when brake applied or vice versa. Confusion reigns the day these days.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Tony, follow Jim's lead since the switch should be the same as his. In the event you need the camaro one, don't buy one. Let me know and I'll send you the one I got but am not using since my factory switch works fine.
Thanks Scott. Appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thanks. I actually thought about doing this. And I (or Holley) made it more confusing than it should be. Their directions say must be connected to 12v+ so ??? I've read so many guys say make it 12v then zero when brake applied or vice versa. Confusion reigns the day these days.
It's easy to get confused when setting these up....until you do it and see it working correctly.

1st, Terminator X/X Mxx has several inputs and outputs that aren't assignable or changeable without a crap ton of effort. So use them. One of them is the brake input for the 4L__E transmissions. It is a 12v+ switched input that comes in the harness ready to be wired in. They have others in the engine harness that are inputs that are obvious to use, but very similar in function, oil pressure input, IAT, CLT, TPS, Fuel Pressure, etc. All of these are inputs that are preassigned. Of all of those, the brake switch and the fuel pressure are extra's that don't have to be used. The fuel pressure is the best example, Holley knew most everyone wants a fuel pressure sensor, but the LS engine that their kit that is made for doesn't have a factory fuel pressure sensor. Same goes for some of the outputs, i.e. fan control. Fortunately the outputs are more easily reassigned.

2nd, Holley made the 4 unused (available) inputs and 4 unused outputs completely changeable in terms of how they are triggered (inputs) or what they perform (outputs). The inputs can be triggered from 12v+ or 12V-, 5 Volt reference, frequency (Hz) or Canbus. To change how these are triggered is one of Holley's best features - it's a click of the mouse or a drag and drop. It's stupid silly how it all works. This a giant step ahead of the Megasquirt stuff I have.

I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my inputs and outputs. I attached a screenshot of my Holley Term X Max setup. It's very basic I have one of these for all of our EFI setups. It's extremely handy to have this stuff saved for reference later when you want to make a change or try to remember what you did to get something to function.

Bottom line, ask questions as to what you need help with (as you are doing here). And don't over think anything. It's only as intimidating as you let it be lol. If you follow the installation manual, then you'll see that the brake switch input is 12v+ switched input.

Don't you have a build thread on your car?

Attachments

• In's and out's screenshot Holley.png
    In's and out's screenshot Holley.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 134

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Yes Jim I have a build thread. I have everything wired correctly for terminator x max already except for the one wire to unlock the converter
Engine runs great. First attempt at starting and she fired up immediately

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor