Buick 231 bolt-ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plain Jane

Apprentice
Sep 9, 2014
I'm looking to squeeze a little more power out of this old 3.8 without resorting to touching internals or doing much custom work. I'm not looking to build a track machine or dramatically changing the character of the car, but if I can bump a few ponies up from stock I'd be happy. The car in question is a 1986 Pontiac Bonneville. I've done a little research and have found a few things that may work, but I'd like to hear from the experts before I pull the trigger on anything. So what are my options?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
There isn't much. The best thing is to change the rear gear ratio from to 2.41 to a 3.08 or better. There is also getting a 4.1L, 4 bbl intake but those are hard to find. There is also the early carb turbo intake but those are also hard to find complete and a complex install but a bolt in.

Plain Jane

Apprentice
Sep 9, 2014
I see. So am I to assume the Edlebrock Performer 500 CFM carb (and IM) won't fit? I also looked into a shift kit which seems like a good place to start. Never considered the diff, I'll keep a sharp eye.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
NItrous.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
This link has the best info for carbed Buick V6s. http://www.beforeblack.net/ However the best thing to do with a 231 V6 is either to turbo it or swap it out for a better motor. Even the Chevy 305 is a major step up from a n/a 231.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
The 4.1 manifold clone tie mentioned is a great upgrade but theres really very else little you can do with the 3.8 and by the time you get hundreds of dollars into it you might as well have just invested that money on a new motor. Better to just get the shift kit and do nothing w/ the 3.8 itself until its time to take it out. Getting 3.42 or 3.73 posi would make the 3.8 seem a lot more fun to drive until you can afford to put money down on a swap

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Buick 350 if you can find one, direct swap.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
^^^ until then you should be looking at the carb. If you don't want to get into rebuilding it yourself simply buy a fresh rebuilt one from a reliable source and send yours in as the 'core'. If your carb is not working well it would the make the already anemic 3.8 unbearable to drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor