Buick 350

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
So I found this Engine for $250. It ran when pulled lol. We all know what that means right. I would like to keep this build between $2-3000. And do most of it myself. I just want something reliable that sounds good. I also have a rebuilt 200R-4 to put behind that I’m going to swap at the same time. So any links or knowledge that you wouldn’t mind sharing would be grateful. Thank you

Attachments

• 0AAAEDBB-556C-45CF-9EF0-106B92ED9869.png
    0AAAEDBB-556C-45CF-9EF0-106B92ED9869.png
    3 MB · Views: 93
  • A1303AAD-5655-4E81-BFE8-31A457F4C6B0.png
    A1303AAD-5655-4E81-BFE8-31A457F4C6B0.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Nice score. What year is it? If low compression keep it that way. The two barrel 2GC carb is a good one used forever by GM. You can upgrade to a Quadrajet but think hard about if you really need to. The two barrel works best with dead rear gears. A four barrel needs to breath and that means changing gears. First get it running and see what gives. Test for compression and oil burning. If it is tight then leave it alone. Concentrate on the bottom end. Buicks suffer from poor oiling. I like to use fully grooved main bearings, a high volume oil pump kit, and a leak proof rear seal. Know that the 350 is an over-square engine that makes all of it's power at low rpms. Build with that in mind. It will be awesome in a G-body.

Reactions: 3 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Looks good. Casting number says it is a 72-80 block so it is a low compression engine. I would put it on a stand pull the pan and check the bearing clearance on the last two rod bearings. Let us know what you find.

Reactions: 1 users

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Nice score. What year is it? If low compression keep it that way. The two barrel 2GC carb is a good one used forever by GM. You can upgrade to a Quadrajet but think hard about if you really need to. The two barrel works best with dead rear gears. A four barrel needs to breath and that means changing gears. First get it running and see what gives. Test for compression and oil burning. If it is tight then leave it alone. Concentrate on the bottom end. Buicks suffer from poor oiling. I like to use fully grooved main bearings, a high volume oil pump kit, and a leak proof rear seal. Know that the 350 is an over-square engine that makes all of it's power at low rpms. Build with that in mind. It will be awesome in a G-body.
I have a 8.5 out of a 85 T type with 3.42s. T/A has an intake and eddelbrock 4 barrel but I don’t know if its Worth it for $1000.

Reactions: 1 user

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Looks good. Casting number says it is a 72-80 block so it is a low compression engine. I would put it on a stand pull the pan and check the bearing clearance on the last two rod bearings. Let us know what you find.
I will for sure. I’m pretty stoked about it.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a 8.5 out of a 85 T type with 3.42s.
That will work perfect with the overdrive trans. TA makes great stuff but remember if you want to rev high rpm then you had absolutely better build the bottom end. Also if you go that route you will need a high revving cam. Buicks aren't made for that. Short stroke Chevy's are. Buicks make all their power down low so they can propel a huge land yacht with ease. Why not try the stock engine and the OD trans with the rear and see what it does. You can always take it back out for a full tilt make over. I ALWAYS tell guys who want to build a screamer to change the rear gears FIRST. Then if that is not enough- go for it. Don't take my word for it. PM Mr.Sony and the other Buick guys.

Reactions: 2 users

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
That will work perfect with the overdrive trans. TA makes great stuff but remember if you want to rev high rpm then you had absolutely better build the bottom end. Also if you go that route you will need a high revving cam. Buicks aren't made for that. Short stroke Chevy's are. Buicks make all their power down low so they can propel a huge land yacht with ease. Why not try the stock engine and the OD trans with the rear and see what it does. You can always take it back out for a full tilt make over. I ALWAYS tell guys who want to build a screamer to change the rear gears FIRST. Then if that is not enough- go for it. Don't take my word for it. PM Mr.Sony and the other Buick guys.
To be honest I’m not trying to build a high revving screamer. I just want a cruiser that sounds good. I live in town and its my daily. My main goal is reliability.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, it sounds like a good score. That 2004R and 3.42 rear end will be a great combo. Stock converter? I have found the D9 used in pretty much anything stalls a 1900 rpm, much better than the TH350 1600 rpm. Yeah it can snow ball quickly. Intake carb, well then might as well get a cam etc. Checking the front cover for wear and timing chain might not be a bad idea. I assume Buick also used a nylon coated cam gear? They tend to flake off with age and usually end up in the oil pump pick up.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Yeah, it sounds like a good score. That 2004R and 3.42 rear end will be a great combo. Stock converter? I have found the D9 used in pretty much anything stalls a 1900 rpm, much better than the TH350 1600 rpm. Yeah it can snow ball quickly. Intake carb, well then might as well get a cam etc. Checking the front cover for wear and timing chain might not be a bad idea. I assume Buick also used a nylon coated cam gear? They tend to flake off with age and usually end up in the oil pump pick up.
Yes it it is a stock converter. Intake and cam are probably a pipe dream.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
To be honest I’m not trying to build a high revving screamer
In that case you got the world's best street engine. Just do what I used to call a $100 rebuild. [not with today's money] The timing set, oil pump kit, water pump, carb rebuild, oil pan and valve cover gaskets, anything that can wear out without opening the engine. You will learn about the 'vaseline trick' to pack the oil pump to prime it. Paint it, install it. Good to go.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor