Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SV6 REGAL

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2006
Ont Canada
Any chance that you get some parts for your truck from the local wrecking yard,it would save you some dough.Good job on the olds keep up the good work.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yes I am keeping the trim. It was easier than removing it, and it is part of the car's character. I kinda think I should have killed the lower body trim, but what is done is done. It gives it a bit more of a sleeper feel as it makes it look less performance oriented. My only blacked out things are parts of the grille and headlight bezels. I also got rid of all the emblems except for the Oldsmobile script on the front bumper as well as the ding strips. My original plan was to keep the Brougham interior, and I felt the lower moldings were needed to tie it all together. Now, I will probably ditch the brougham interior in the future and go with black bucket seats, a custom console and black interior with the wood grain dealt with in a creative way. not sure what just yet though.

As for the welding on the fender, I did add in a piece of metal to tie it all together. Otherwise, it was way too flimsy. Now, it is about as strong as stock. I will be using the chrome wheel arch trims too and trimming them as needed too.

Here's a better pic:

l_98eba513d21d4e278963b3f5f99cbd9a.jpg

Not shown in that pic is that I tied the edges back in to the original fender lip. There is now no break in the lip. I had about 30 hours tied up in those fenders. In the end though, I got what I wanted: more clearance while looking stock on the outside. I guess that's how the whole car is built though, as the engine bay is done to look like a stock 305 to the untrained eye.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Today's progress: Installed the window trim for the doors as well as the roof rails and the door and roof rail weatherstripping. The roof rail weatherstripping turned out to be a heartbreak. I bought it new about 5 years ago from Soffseal, and I finally took it out of the package. The way it was packaged, it has a lot of deep wrinkles in it. I am hoping it will take a set once the windows are in and put pressure on it for a few weeks, but if it does not, I will have no choice but to buy a new set eventually. If I do, it will be a different brand though. The material is too rubbery and this issue looks like it is due to how they package it, not how I stored it. The door weatherstrips were also a PITA as the push clips were too small and do not like to stay in place. I will have to glue them to keep them in place, something I didn't want to do. Anyhow, I took plenty of pics and plan a write up on how to assemble the door window trim and roof rails.

Anyhow, here's today's progress pic. I still have to find the driver's side door handle and the retainer clip for the passenger's side, otherwise they would be installed.

l_5233826937064559a21ae0dc1346f72d.jpg

And in the department of this sucks:I finally found a 1982 Trans Am with factory Recaro seats in my local U pull it today. Unfortunately, they were not complete and not salvageable or I would have bought them for my car. They would have kept the 80's feel of the car alive and well. After all ,the 1980's is one of the themes I am going with for the car as it is cheap to do and kind of fits.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Naaah, no spoilers, scoops, etc. I don't think it would work with all the trim anyhow. This is more or less how it will look when it's done, but with a tad bit more trim.

l_24cc59bfdfdd491e96dd7842903dfa30.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Lookin' good!

Since they don't require a front plate in Florida, are you gonna try and snag one of those nifty polished pieces that goes in place of the license plate bracket to secure the front bumper cover?

Are you keeping the trim on the back side of the hood and fender corners?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I already have that little trim piece for the bumper... I just gotta find it! As for the trim at the back of the hood, I have that too and will be putting it on later. I am not putting the front end trim on just yet because I need to pull it all apart again to paint and detail under the hood, as well as seal the HVAC suitcase to the firewall. The sheetmetal framing the fenders hang off of is black on these cars, and I want to repaint it. Everything you see on the front end is held on by one or two bolts. I am not ready to drive it yet, so it really doesn't matter. I figure it will be a few more weeks at least until it is usable.

Today's update: cleaned, repaired and re-taped the door wiring harnesses. I found a neat trick to clean the contacts: Naval Jelly! It cleans the corrosion off the copper really easily, just don't let it sit too long or it will eat the contacts to a nub! I will be wiring the doors tomorrow or Thursday, but I have to get some dielectric grease to pack the connections with first.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I've never actually seen one of those bumper trim pieces in person, just in pictures since front plates are required up here...

Just out of curiousity, what are they made of? Polished stainless, anodized aluminum, or chromed steel?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
They are polished stainless, if memory serves. They also come with 2 Torx head fasteners that are chromed to hold them in place. They are a rare find, even here where they came stock with them. I happened to get lucky once and find one in a u pull it yard. If I can't find the one I have in the mess that is my garage, I guess I'll have to wait for another to show up.

I also hate how the trim is made of so many different kinds of metal. I wish it was all stainless steel like the rocker moldings, as it would be so much easier to restore it. I tried my usual methods on the anodized aluminum "bright" trim with mediocre results. I got it a little better, but I guess there's a limit to what 2,000 grit sandpaper can do. It did a great job on the lower body moldings though, and made it real easy to polish it out using some Mother's mag wheel polish.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
I know i have not said anything in a while but i have been keeping an eye on the progress thread, car looks great, there are alot of us out here excited for you that you are turning the corner and on a downhill slide with this car, looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor