Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Lookin good... keep it up. I have a delay wiper switch... has a crack on the front face. You can have it if you want it.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Tony_SS said:
Lookin good... keep it up. I have a delay wiper switch... has a crack on the front face. You can have it if you want it.

I would take it, but it would be the wrong one as my switch is built into the steering column.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Anyhow, here's today's pic. I rented a buffer and buffed out the whole car. I didn't get all of the orange peel or flaws out this time, because it will need to be done again in about 6 months once the paint cures more. I left some clear for then. I have to go early tomorrow morning to buy some proper swirl mark remover as I got the wrong stuff. I have to have the buffer back at around 1pm tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to work fast!

l_ff09c2a56f7c46319b31b781eeea2a76.jpg

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, it's finally buffed and glazed, so the paint is done except for the mirror housings that I have to re-do. The paint is not perfect and has little white dots in it in places that make it look dusty up close, but I will live with it. The alternative is a complete respray of the whole thing and I am not going to spend the money to do it. I would rather drive it, flaws and all, because respraying would mean it would be another year before it was done as that is how long it would take to save the money to do it again.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Here are today's pics.

l_6e67bba8e7724cb1b0fb70d591b38dde.jpg

l_03dcf4b3db024db1837fe3c7f2a39583.jpg

And here are the little white spots that are in the paint. If it were not for these, I could call this paint job a huge success and actually enter it in shows one I did the next round of sanding and buffing in a few months.

l_0acfa4220b8145b5af61fe9e3b8e018b.jpg

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
Looks good I do like that color. Can u get the white spots off at all llike with a finger nail or some thing soft? When I bought my truck last years i noticed that there were white in the paint too since it is black it bugged the crap out of me. I could get them off with my finger I tryied a mothers bar that worked good i still need to do it one more tim e think. I also used that turtle wax paint polish black wax. well you can't used that but the mother bar at some point in the future when the paint is harder might help. just my two cents

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
It looks good! Show cars are for people who have the time and money for that sort of thing, more a social hobby for those who need to show paint and polish off to others with full scale model kits.
For a classic you actually DRIVE regularly, paint just needs to be a good "10 footer." I decided I would save the show car thing until I'm foagy old and retired, and have nothing better to do in life but sit in a foldable lounge chair in some parking lot next to my car with a $20,000 paint job. :)

-UT-

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Great looking color!! Are you going to leave the wheels gold? I think the gold goes great with that dark blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor