Build Thread-85 Cutlass Brougham-New Pics Added!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got to drive it today! I installed the new carpet and the driver's seat, and ordered the vinyl dye as a custom mix using a gift card I got at work for safe driving. I also calibrated the mirror's digital compass (sadly, I was mistaken about the thermometer), so that works perfect now too! I even checked the speedometer against my GPS and found it to be about 3-4 MPH too fast. That's acceptable as my dead stock truck is about 1-2 MPH too fast according to the GPS. Plus, I have tires that are taller than what is planned on there now, so calibrating the speedo to those tires will be a waste of time. (I plan on 245 50 16's and it has 225 60 16's now because that is all the used tire place had.) I still don't have the seat belts hooked up yet as I found that I am missing 2 bolts I need to install them, so it's not really ready to drive out of the neighborhood. I also have to bolt down the speaker box before I really take it anywhere. Otherwise, I could ruin the stereo wiring.

All in all though, I found a few things that need fixing, like finding out why the radio turns on and off ( a short somewhere...), and fixing the annoying exhaust clamp that is loose and lets the pipes squeak against each other, but that is all minor stuff. It should be a viable vehicle except for the front tires and plug wires by the end of next week. As for how it drove today, I was quite impressed. It felt solid, the exhaust is not too loud inside the car and it is comfortable to be in. Once I tie down the loose ends, it should be a decent car that almost anyone could live with every day.

Glad that she's on the road! It's looking good so far.

Here's a pic of how far I have gotten on the interior. It only has the one seat in it because of little details keeping me from installing the others. I may try to go to a junkyard tomorrow to try and find the missing: bolts, rear seat belts, lock rod, and seat switch bracket. I also gotta try and find the stupid wire bales for the rear speakers.

normal_carpet_install_007.JPG

The carpet kit is from ACC, and the color is called "Federal Blue". It is darker than stock, but I chose it over the color they called for since their choice seemed too green to me. It is a little darker and bluer than the rest of the interior (save the headliner), but I think it helps bridge the gap between the exterior color (which is purpley) and the interior color that is a bit more green.

mmmmm fresh carpet is always so nice, looks great, does your radio have the huge mount on it for the aftermarket? looks awkward

The radio does have the big, ugly install kit on it, but the bigger issue there is that I don't actually have it mounted to the car yet. It's just sitting in the hole so I can take it out and troubleshoot some wiring and ventilation issues. That's also why none of the woodgrain panels have gone in just yet. I don't want to risk ruining them by taking them out again. As for the mounting, I have been thinking of an alternate solution to the normal mounting kit. B14 Sentras have a 2 DIN radio mounting with a slip out cupholder that is 1/2 DIN just below them. The Cutlass uses a 1.5 DIN opening, so I was thinking why not just cut down the Sentra's mounting bracket, use only the bottom position, and then keep the cupholder slide out beneath it to take up the extra space? Then again, the radio position is terrible in these cars as it requires you to reach too far to reach it. So, maybe the extended bracket is the best thing? Either that or just using the remote. My other cupholder integration idea is to use a 1990's GM center arm rest with the flip out cupholder, or a late Buick Century's arm rest with the built in staggered cup holder. The cup holder conundrum is one of my more aggravating problems as I want it to look stock and well integrated, but still be very functional and ergonomic.

The carpet looks pretty good in there.

How would you rate it as far as how well the moulded sections fit the floor?

I've been think about getting new carpet for my Olds wagon through them.

It fits OK, but it's not perfect. It took a bit of doing to make it work, just like any ACC carpet I have ever installed. A big piece of advice I would give anyone doing this is to leave yourself about a half an inch of carpet beyond the pinch weld at the rocker. This way, it can be folded over and clamped in place by the sill plate. I cut it flush on the driver's side before I realized my error, and hope it will work out OK. They give you LOTS of extra carpet on the sides to trim with, but almost none in the rear where it is most needed. I would also spend the extra money for the thicker backing material like GM used. I didn't because I am cheap and I don't expect to drive this car often, but I have seen the basic stuff turn to crap in as little as a year because the backer is not tough enough. Also, I would use the bolt holes to stretch the middle out flat as it sits a little tall. What I did is that I cut my slits for the seat studs about a quarter inch short of the actual studs. The same is also true of my seat belt bolts. This let me stretch the material tighter on the tunnel than if I had left it as it fell when I put it in. One more thing about the stud holes: Cut slits in the carpet, not holes!!! If you need to redo the slits, they can be closed up from behind with duct tape, but holes remove material that is not easily replaced. Also, leave yourself extra material where it goes under the kick panels. Yes, you theoretically can cut only once, but I prefer to cut several times, each time honing in a little more on where it should be. Remember: you only get one chance to get it right. Cut it wrong and it won't look right. I purposely left the extra material to climb the walls of the car a bit under the trim panels so that if it pulled out a little, it didn't make it look like there was no carpet. I still have to finish the seat belts, dye the passenger's kick panel, and then install the passenger's side plastics and sill plate. I gotta go look at another car before I put the seat belts on the rocker panels as I forget exactly how the carpet is supposed to be cut to let them through in that spot.

A little off topic, but what trim clips do you need for the rocker mouldings?? I have a bunch leftover from mine that I will never use, and it sure sounds like you could use them. Maybe some weekend I can go home from college and send them to you. lmk...

3XBrownCutty said:
A little off topic, but what trim clips do you need for the rocker mouldings?? I have a bunch leftover from mine that I will never use, and it sure sounds like you could use them. Maybe some weekend I can go home from college and send them to you. lmk...

I need one of the ones for the front of the fender by the bumper. If you want' I can send you a pic of the one I need. Thanks for the offer, if you can do it I would really appreciate it!

Pic would be good, not 100% sure if I have them or not but I'll look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor